Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Part modelling and tolerance zones, how would you do this?

My engineer coworker is designing a part which includes a long, cylindrical feature.  Down the road this will be a lathe part to be jobbed out, but for prototypes I'll be milling it.  He wants a single sided tolerance, with the same maximum diameter the full length of the part, but only needs the minimum diameter to be tight for a shot span at one end; it can get looser for the rest.  He wants no visible transition between the two zones.  I abhor single sided tolerances, and want everything modeled at the midppoint of the tolerance zones.  I suggested as a compromise that he should model the whole feature at the diameter of the midpoint of the tighter tolerance zone.  Is that how you would want it?

Thanks

What do you mean by single sided tolerance? Something like +.000/-.005"?

If so, as a programmer, I prefer the customer models to all be drawn at the mean.

And currently there is only 1 that does it, they are literally perfect. It's a programmers dream.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jeff said:

What do you mean by single sided tolerance? Something like +.000/-.005"?

If so, as a programmer, I prefer the customer models to all be drawn at the mean.

And currently there is only 1 that does it, they are literally perfect. It's a programmers dream.

Yeah, like he wants the first quarter inch of a 1.6" long cylinder to be .2070 +0 / -.0005, and the rest to be .2070 +0 / -.0015.  I first suggested he draw it all at the mean, but he doesn't want a step at the transition between the zones.  Not that you'd really notice the .0005" step.