Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Clarification on MIll level capabilities

nperry

Tried searching for this one, but results were watery at best.

Does anyone know what capabilites Mill Level 1 has anymore as far as surfacing goes? I know it used to be that you were limited to one surface at a time, but now it seems like there are certain paths that can handle multiple surfaces...can anyone give me the rundown on what's what at this point in time?

Mill Level 1 now is really what Mill Level 2 used to be...lot's of single surface stuff, a multi-surface pocket...

Not sure how much of the newer style paths are functional but I would guess somewhat limited, though I have never seen that detailed anywhere

:edit:

I just locked mine down to a Mill 2...none of the highspeed paths are available

It almost seems like tribal knowledge or something.

My buddy is working with level 1 and asking questions...he's got a mold to work out of plastic, sent me a picture of it and asked what he should do. I told him if he can get multiple surfaces with legacy paths (confirmed that he can do multiple surfaces with parallel), then try out pocket. Didn't work, not licensed for it. 

He ended up calling his reseller for some support and they also told him that legacy pocket should be capable of multiple surfaces with level 1. He then doubly confirmed that it is not. I told him try multisurface pocket for good measure. No dice. 

Rough Multi-surface pocket is indeed available...just tried it

But if he's got a mold and a Mill 1, he's not likely going to get it done...

Over the years, everyone I saw that bought Mill 2, saying they only cut the occasional surface, usually pretty quickly upgraded to Mill 3

• Like 1

It's a mold for some sort of concrete block. Based on the pictures he sent me I can imagine he might be able to cobble something together, but it's beside the point. It seems like the more he shows he can do the more complicated work they're putting in his lap, and he's only been using Mastercam since February of this year. I've advised him to try and get them to upgrade to level 3.

Are you saying that with mill level 1 you're able to put down a rough multisurface pocket path and post it out? He claims to have had licensing issues, but I wasn't there to witness it. He's also running 2018.

16 minutes ago, nperry said:

Are you saying that with mill level 1 you're able to put down a rough multisurface pocket path and post it out? He claims to have had licensing issues, but I wasn't there to witness it. He's also running 2018. 

Yup....I only have 2019 & 2020 but this should be no different for 2018...the changes we're talking about in licensing happened in X9..This was done in 2019

vmtRVTQ.jpg

PWJpwUQ.jpg

rmzuIBL.jpg

Add this switch to your startup icon and you can lock yours and test it

l7I3rb4.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me  that when you drop down into that surface rough menu it's explaining to you what you can get away with...you can do pocket with multi surfaces, or "one surface" with the other paths. If you drop down into surface finish does it use the same verbage? Unless I'm reading into that incorrectly.

3 minutes ago, nperry said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me  that when you drop down into that surface rough menu it's explaining to you what you can get away with...you can do pocket with multi surfaces, or "one surface" with the other paths. If you drop down into surface finish does it use the same verbage? Unless I'm reading into that incorrectly.

You would be correct

SNVtZyE.jpg

• Thanks 1