Sign in to follow this  
PKMills

Right Angle Head Toolpaths

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I'm new to programming for right angle heads. I've searched and can't find an answer to what seems to be a simple question. 

I have a ring that has features on the ID and OD and we are using an indexer that's rotating about the Z axis on a vmc. I'm using an aggregate post that was supplied by our re-seller for this machine and I'm getting what looks like correct code by modifying the front tool plane and using the top wcs to get the proper rotation.  The part I'm not figuring out is when it comes to drilling on the OD. It seems that in backplot it's always starting from the inside of that part unless I switch from the original front plane to the back tool plane. 

In this case there are only 4 holes on the od that are equally spaced and I'm sure It would be easy to write out by hand but I would like to know how this is done in MasterCam 2019. I'm guessing there is a way to use the back tool plane and rotate, but how would you do that if the holes are not equally spaced?

 

Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After more trial and error it seems like I may have answered my own question. I created the geometry and toolpath in the back tool plane and then toolpath transform/ rotate/ create separate operations and turn posting off for the original back operation. If the features are not equally spaced I would create separate transform operations.

If anyone knows a different/ easier way of doing this your input would be greatly appreciated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, PKMills said:

After more trial and error it seems like I may have answered my own question. I created the geometry and toolpath in the back tool plane and then toolpath transform/ rotate/ create separate operations and turn posting off for the original back operation. If the features are not equally spaced I would create separate transform operations.

If anyone knows a different/ easier way of doing this your input would be greatly appreciated. 

You have figured out one way to go about it. The other is to make planes for each place and then individual operations for each toolpath. The advantage is the use of linking toolpaths or Curve 5 Axis to control the movement between places while inside of the part or keeping the head down and not get any surprises unless your rapiding above the part when using the head inside or outside a part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does seem to be my problem now. After each toolpath it gives me a return to z home position. I have created a plane for each position, but I'm not sure what you mean by individual operations for each toolpath. When I did toolpath translate and rotate I selected "create new operations and geometry" but I still get G91 G28 Z0. between each drill cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PKMills said:

That does seem to be my problem now. After each toolpath it gives me a return to z home position. I have created a plane for each position, but I'm not sure what you mean by individual operations for each toolpath. When I did toolpath translate and rotate I selected "create new operations and geometry" but I still get G91 G28 Z0. between each drill cycle. 

Instead of translating it,  copy your first path, re-select the plane (for the next rotation) and re-select the appropriate geometry associated with the plane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, navsENG said:

Instead of translating it,  copy your first path, re-select the plane (for the next rotation) and re-select the appropriate geometry associated with the plane. 

That's exactly what I did for the ID toolpaths and I get a return to Z home between them. I suppose that has to be edited in the post, or use multiaxis linking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 12:32 PM, PKMills said:

That does seem to be my problem now. After each toolpath it gives me a return to z home position. I have created a plane for each position, but I'm not sure what you mean by individual operations for each toolpath. When I did toolpath translate and rotate I selected "create new operations and geometry" but I still get G91 G28 Z0. between each drill cycle. 

Need to see if the post has a switch to cancel the G29 Z0 if not then you will need to have this logic added to your post to control this behavior. Look in your misc integers and reals and see if there is a switch for it. The idea with any post is to make the safest code possible out of the box then customize it down to each person Chocolate or other flavor of Ice Cream they want. Just about every machine will run Vanilla code, but then different people want the extra toppings or flavors and that is really what your post process can do, but problem is most people are sure how to get that flavor. The post teams doing that specialize in this understanding of what it takes to make the flavor of code you want, but they need your help to get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Need to see if the post has a switch to cancel the G29 Z0 if not then you will need to have this logic added to your post to control this behavior. Look in your misc integers and reals and see if there is a switch for it. The idea with any post is to make the safest code possible out of the box then customize it down to each person Chocolate or other flavor of Ice Cream they want. Just about every machine will run Vanilla code, but then different people want the extra toppings or flavors and that is really what your post process can do, but problem is most people are sure how to get that flavor. The post teams doing that specialize in this understanding of what it takes to make the flavor of code you want, but they need your help to get it.

I guess they were out of butter pecan, because I sent them a Z2G and files a couple days ago and haven't heard back yet. I don't see any switches where I can edit one line and make it work, but then, I'm no expert at modifying posts. I'll just hand edit and wait until they get back to me or until I learn more about the post language to understand how to get the flavor I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Join us!

eMastercam - your online source for all things Mastercam.

Together, we are the strongest Mastercam community on the web with over 56,000 members, and our online store offers a wide selection of training materials for all applications and skill levels.

Follow us