Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Area mill and Dynamic Mill not cleaning open pocket.

JB7280

I have tried creating a finishing operation on the open pocket in this zip2go file.  The corners in the green boxes arent cleaning up, and I'm not sure why.  I created a contour operation along those walls to get the part running, but I cannot seem to figure out why the area mill operation isn't cleaning it out.  Am I just using the wrong method?  Thanks!

OPENPOCKET.ZIP

From your selected  open air chain, a closed air region is built.  It looks like the region is built perpendicular to the air chain (not tangent to the machining region).  This keeps the tool from cutting that last bit of material.  Use the "preview chains" option to see where the tool is (not) allowed to go.

I know that we have a similar issue logged against open air chain extension - I'll add this part to that defect.

I suspect that if you build a closed air chain which extends tangentially from the machining region, you'll get the last bit cut.

15 minutes ago, billb said:

From your selected  open air chain, a closed air region is built.  It looks like the region is built perpendicular to the air chain (not tangent to the machining region).  This keeps the tool from cutting that last bit of material.  Use the "preview chains" option to see where the tool is (not) allowed to go.

I know that we have a similar issue logged against open air chain extension - I'll add this part to that defect.

I suspect that if you build a closed air chain which extends tangentially from the machining region, you'll get the last bit cut.

I see what you mean with the preview chains.  there's a small area where the tool can't theoretically reach.  The contour works for now, but good info for next time.  Thank you.