Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Boundary Violation

Frank Caudillo

Came across this little surprise in 2020 just now. Dynamic path is violating the boundary when it leads off the material. The outer most path is a finish contour at 0 stock (Verify green) and the dynamic path violating it is leaving .01" stock on the wall (Verify purple). I can easily fix this by adding more stock to leave, but I feel like dynamic shouldn't do this regardless. Has this been a thing for awhile that I'm just now encountering?

Dynamic Boundary Violation Verify.jpg

Dynamic Boundary Violation.jpg

1 hour ago, Chally72 said:

What is your toolpath tolerance set to? Can you post the file?

Total tolerance is .001". See the file for what's going on. When I created this example using the exact same geometry and toolpath settings I noticed that the problem goes away when only one "area" to rough/finish is chained. With all three sections chained you'll see the boundary violation behavior happen.

DYNAMIC_BOUNDARY_VIOLATION.mcam

What is happening here is that there's a sliver of air region from the extension off of the middle jaw island that exists beyond the lefthand machining region:

1877043056_PreviewChains.thumb.png.fc3aa43d1e68f5443eb6d559d65037fa.png

Air region extents are automatically sized based on the diameter of the tool selected, and that sliver is being created as part of the air region extents of this chain, perpendicular to the chain edges:

Air.thumb.png.1a96e3b1f604124b8437cad5dfacbaa3.png

Since the toolpath has no knowledge of any geometry except what we're feeding it for chains, it sees that sliver as a valid air region. A solution is to simply add the top left jaw face as an avoidance region to eliminate the air sliver, which gives you this:

Avoidance.thumb.png.4e772637d31145c4797ba1832993ba4d.png

The ability to add multiple air regions also adds quite a bit of complexity in how overlapping regions are dealt with, so avoidance regions start to become more necessary to control motion around and between the desired areas. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Some reference info- Air region extent is 4x tool diameter. I imagine overlapping region trimming is tough because we have knowledge of only the input chains, and then each region would have to be cross checked against every other region and some intelligence applied to the result. I'm sure this will see many improvements in the future- the ability to add multiple air regions was just introduced, and the functionality will continue to evolve release to release. For now, giving the path a little more knowledge of surrounding geometry is enough to get a good path.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2