Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to clean steps

wojtek90

30 minutes ago, zachlancy said:

You could also use a small ballnosed endmill and run along the wall with a 3D contour.

You might run into problems with this method as there is no tip offset control for the surfaces using 3D contour.

3D contour is best used in a situation where you are cutting a 2D profile but want to vary the z depth to ensure complete cleanup if the z -ve limit of the part varies more than the LOC of the cutter. In this case the tip is in "air" and will not gouge due to lack of tip offset control.

If you want to control gouging efficiently here it would have to be a surfacing prog which has tip offset.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Peter Evans said:

Does surface finish project get mangled if you use it inside of the nesting function?

It shouldn't, however, for Nesting, I would build centerline geometry, and project that. Just better to use direct geo, rather than 'an offset, of an offset' type of situation.

Nesting is used to make multiple copies of the same part, in a sheet of material. Typically for Router style machines. 

5 hours ago, wojtek90 said:

Sorry but I do not understand your question. Can you please explain what this mean in simple language.

Sorry , like Colin said nesting is used to make copies of the same part, or combine many parts into one large program for one or many "sheets", sometimes operation with dependency such as remachining cause issues during sorting of operations (usually by ascending or descending order).

1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

It shouldn't, however, for Nesting, I would build centerline geometry, and project that. Just better to use direct geo, rather than 'an offset, of an offset' type of situation.

Nesting is used to make multiple copies of the same part, in a sheet of material. Typically for Router style machines. 

Thanks for the reply Colin I will try that when I get the chance.

10 hours ago, wojtek90 said:

Should I create new geometry or use tool off set?

I didn't open your file, but it appears from the photo that those are ramps sloping down towards the outside. If you want to clean up those steps, figure out what size radius you can live with in the corner and use the appropriate endmill to achieve that. You can make multiple passes with a small step-over to blend perfectly. You shouldn't need to create any geometry at all. You can use the legacy pencil toolpath, or the HST pencil toolpath. There are so many ways to derive the toolpath.

Carmen