Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Full 4 axis programming

Guess_who

So we have a part that needs full 4th axis program in a horizontal machine. I know I can program with the fixture built on centerline of the table, but I was wondering if there is anything like TCPC that is standard in horizontal machining centers that we could try. I tried G43.4 and the machine alarms out. Any idea? 

3 minutes ago, Guess_who said:

that is standard in horizontal machining centers that we could try.

Standard, not likely

To the best of my knowledge and experience without tooltip compensation, it's got to be all on centerline and correctly positioned for the simultaneous to be correct

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Guess_who said:

So we have a part that needs full 4th axis program in a horizontal machine. I know I can program with the fixture built on centerline of the table, but I was wondering if there is anything like TCPC that is standard in horizontal machining centers that we could try. I tried G43.4 and the machine alarms out. Any idea? 

What kind of machine? Makino has G54.2.

1 hour ago, Guess_who said:

If I understand correctly you want to move off center, but have it programmed for center and let the machine adjust the movements using the as is position verses the programmed position? There are optiosn for machines like this, but G43.4 I am not sure. I know G68.2 or CYCLE 800 do this for 4 Axis machines, but G43,4 I would have to ask a Fanuc Application person if it supported it. When I have done this with parts off center I always used Ball endmills and never had a problem. I have ude bull endmills for roughing, but for finishing always used bull or ball endmills and all was good. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, PEPPERCORN RANCH said:

What kind of machine? Makino has G54.2.

We have Makinos A51nx Pro 6 controls. Basically 31i.

I've always used G43.4 when doing full 5th,  and just assumed it would be an option on 4 axis. But the machine yelled at me. So I didn't know if there were other things I could try. I try the G54.2. I'm unfamiliar so I'll have to experiment. 

38 minutes ago, Grievous said:

So...do you need to do some 4x simultaneous or just index positioning?

I'd would like to do 4x Simultaneous.

For positional, we use a macro so that we don't have to be in the center of the table.  Which is why someone designed the fixture off-center. 

6 minutes ago, Guess_who said:

I'd would like to do 4x Simultaneous.

For positional, we use a macro so that we don't have to be in the center of the table.  Which is why someone designed the fixture off-center. 

Well you can program it to do Simultaneous 4 Axis, but your part will need to be at that place when programmed from the center of rotation. Trying to program to the center of rotation and do what your after on a 4 Axis machine is asking a lot. The control might have an option to do it, but I have never seen anyone even attempt to do what your asking so I would interested in seeing how you come with it. Please keep us posted when you come up with. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Inversrse timing????? Might be an add on option for your control but maybe I'm misinterperperting what you are tying to do. try throwing a G93 at it, if it works make sure to turn it of with G94

Caution: definitely need to be programmed from center of rotation if you plan on using inverse timing and will have to turn it on in your control def and post

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Another macro user here. It is a G65 P[macro number] B[incremental rotation] Q[target work offset coordinate number] call, using G55 as source location, which is acquired by probing or machinist by hand. All macro calls (rotation calculations) are performed at the start of program and planes in mcam have the proper work offsets assigned. I could also add offset to rotation using a macro variable so that if fixture is located on side 180deg instead of the programmed 0deg, there is no need to repost.

It is not  perfect, however. All macro calls have to be entered as manual entry - the post should include logic to automatically create them. Perhaps one day...