Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma supernurbs for dynamic mill - more or less code better?

lowcountrycamo

I program for Okuma's 3x, 4x, and 5x. I am running Supernurbs with default E.00039 D.00039 tolerance. I don't know if the app guys set this up. They are alike in every machine.  The same numbers are set for High Quality, Standard, and High speed.  My 1st question: will the same tolerance in these settings, give the same effect of motion.  Or will they still run differently?   I opened the machining tolerance in several machines to J2. E.003  D.0015.  My roughing EM started breaking and chipping in Dynamic pockets with the following params.

Material 6al-4v ti running at 1/2EM 7flt 450sfm 105ipm .025"ae 1.0"ap.  This problem stopped going back to J2.0  E.00039 D.00039.

I am going to try the Al machines tomorrow.  Another question:  will more code g01 be better for high speed J2. or less code g03/g02?  Will code amount effect J1.0 or J0.?

Thank you for your help,

Steve Austin

23 hours ago, lowcountrycamo said:

I program for Okuma's 3x, 4x, and 5x. I am running Supernurbs with default E.00039 D.00039 tolerance. I don't know if the app guys set this up. They are alike in every machine.  The same numbers are set for High Quality, Standard, and High speed.  My 1st question: will the same tolerance in these settings, give the same effect of motion.  Or will they still run differently?   I opened the machining tolerance in several machines to J2. E.003  D.0015.  My roughing EM started breaking and chipping in Dynamic pockets with the following params.

Material 6al-4v ti running at 1/2EM 7flt 450sfm 105ipm .025"ae 1.0"ap.  This problem stopped going back to J2.0  E.00039 D.00039.

I am going to try the Al machines tomorrow.  Another question:  will more code g01 be better for high speed J2. or less code g03/g02?  Will code amount effect J1.0 or J0.?

Thank you for your help,

Steve Austin

Steve, I don't know the Okuma Super Nurbs to give the best answer, but since no one else is chiming in I will get the conversation started so maybe someone will chime in that has a different thought. I don't understand the same tolerance for all 3 settings. On different machines we use different tolerances for different things. I look at those 3 items and say all 3 should have 3 different tolerance settings. You said it started chipping the endmill, but did you try different filter settings out of Mastercam with those tolerances? What that tells me is the machine is running the code slower than what was really programmed and by run it really slower it was not overloading the tool which makes sense. I would do a complete series of tests with filter settings, tolerance settings and many other things to narrow down the possible inputs to give the correctly desired outputs. I would make a complex shape as a test. I would then try about 20 to 30 different settings to see what each up in the tolerance on the machine produced and then I would test each filter setting at each of those tolerances. You have 6 different machine tolerance to try. You have 6 different filter tolerances to try. That would yield 36 different tests using a new tool for each test. Question then becomes where do you draw a line in the sand? Where is the go with what you got and get the job done or lets test this to the extent I just liad out to find the sweet spot. 

Really throw some more fuel to the fire. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 12 flute tool isn't going to do the same things. 1/2, 5/8 or 3/4 are going to do the same things are they? Amount of stock to leave? Depth of cuts or full pocket depth? What are the holders Shrink or Hydraulic? What spindle taper HSK? CAT? BIG-PLUS? 1000 psi at the tool? Through the tool? How deep you want to chase the Rabbit down the Rabbit hole(s)?