Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I am making parts for a company out of tungsten. They have a 1/4-28 unjf-3b thread. I am giving 2 gages the 3b gage to check the pitch of the thread and a 2b gage to check the depth. My tap goes the correct amount of turns but the 2b depth gage does not. Need at least 23 turns for proper depth I get 24 with the tap but only 16 with the gage any suggestions. I've tried retapping, reaming the hole after the tapping to get rid of any tapper but still only get to like 19 turns of the gage.

I'd bet the leading teeth of your tap are wearing down.  Tungsten is quite abrasive from what I hear.  If it were me I'd me far more comfortable threadmilling.  With a threadmill you can swap in a fresh threadmill and re-skim your threads; you could even run a roughing threadmill and a finishing threadmill as part of your program.

• Like 3