Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

EMPTY FILE!!!!

JB7280

I just went to open the part I'm working on, to find that the whole file is empty.  No solids, no toolpaths, nothing!!!  Not sure If I accidentally saved over it or what.  Do I have ANY chance of recovering my work????!?!!?

BTW, I had autosave and everything set up, however earlier this week, Mastercam wouldn't open and tech support told me to rename the mymcam folder because i probably had a corrupt file, so it hasn't been backing up/autosaving.

31 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I'm not sure what you mean.  When I open the file, it's literally empty.  Like a new file....🤬

If indeed you saved over it you could try to "restore" the folder it is located in by right clicking on the folder selecting properties and selecting "previous version".

This is why you set up the backup utility to save your backup files somewhere else

I changed my config file to send the backups to 

"C:\X20_Bak"

I did this for because I once wiped out my mmcam folder and all my backup files

"C:\X20_Bak" is also easier to find if your need to get an old backup file

1 hour ago, Peter Evans said:

If indeed you saved over it you could try to "restore" the folder it is located in by right clicking on the folder selecting properties and selecting "previous version".

It seems that our server isn't set to save previous versions, and even if I try to turn it on for future use, it only lets me choose local drives.  But thanks for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, gcode said:

This is why you set up the backup utility to save your backup files somewhere else

I changed my config file to send the backups to 

"C:\X20_Bak"

I did this for because I once wiped out my mmcam folder and all my backup files

"C:\X20_Bak" is also easier to find if your need to get an old backup file

Thank you.  My backups are now setup in a seperate folder.

1 hour ago, CEMENTHEAD said:

C:\Users\ "your name" \Documents\my mcam2018\Parts

look here 

Nothing there....but thank you.

Looks like I'll be starting over.  Shouldn't be too bad at least.  It was only a quick fixture and a finishing op.

Here is what likely happened:

You were in a hurry, and had your file (with fixture geometry) open. You saved the file (or thought you did), and go to open a different Mastercam file. As you go to open the new file, Mastercam prompts you to tell you "your current file has changed, do you want to save it", and opens a 'save as' dialog box, in the middle of you selecting a different file to open. 

You basically end up overwriting your existing file, with a different file you are opening. 

The solution is to get in the habit of always 'saving your current file', then pressing 'File > New'. Always use File New, before File Open. This will save you aggravation in the long run. It won't, however, fix your current situation. Sounds like you should follow G-code's advice about the separate backup directory as well. 

You were in a hurry, and had your file (with fixture geometry) open. You saved the file (or thought you did), and go to open a different Mastercam file. As you go to open the new file, Mastercam prompts you to tell you "your current file has changed, do you want to save it", and opens a 'save as' dialog box, in the middle of you selecting a different file to open. 

You basically end up overwriting your existing file, with a different file you are opening. 

The solution is to get in the habit of always 'saving your current file', then pressing 'File > New'. Always use File New, before File Open. This will save you aggravation in the long run. It won't, however, fix your current situation. Sounds like you should follow G-code's advice about the separate backup directory as well. 

3 hours ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Yes, I'm guessing that you're probably right.  The backup is now set-up.  Thank you!

13 hours ago, jeff said:

When you go to open that file, what is the file size?

282KB 😫