Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Getting a new computer!

Roger

Opinions please.  We do mostly 2D work with some (2d Dynamic Mill paths)  A few surface tool paths, now and then.  Maybe in the future some 5 axis work.....

Precision 5820

Intel Core i7-9800X 3.8GHz, 4.5 GHz Turbo, 8C 16.5MB Cache, HT, (165W, DDR4-2666 Non-ECC

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

NVIDA Quadro P4000, 8GB, 4 DP (5820T)

Precision 5820 Tower Core X 950W RTX Chassis

32GB 2x16GB DDR4 266MHz UDIMM Non-ECC

Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 (802.11ac) 2x2 + Bluetooth module

2.5" 512 GB SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive

2TB 7200RPM 3.5 SATA Hard Drive

8X DVD+/-RW Slimline

5.25" FlexBay No Optical

Looks fine with 1 exception.

GET FASTER RAM!

This is the main issue I have with Dell computers, they don't tell you what motherboard you have.

Get the fastest ram they offer, you won't regret it because 2666Mhz ram is dog slow these days. You want 3300 or faster if they offer it.

32 gigs is fine unless your models are massive.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SasquatchBuffalo said:

Believe it or not they make me do mold cavities and complex multi-axis parts. We get the hand-me-down computers from accounting.

:wallbash:

Freakin' bean counters!

Btw...welcome to the forum Sasquatch!  :cheers:

As to the OP, yes, more and faster RAM as Ron and Jeff both recommended.

Mastercam always runs better when you have more RAM than think you need.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SasquatchBuffalo said:

Believe it or not they make me do mold cavities and complex multi-axis parts. We get the hand-me-down computers from accounting.

Log the time you spend waiting for your computer over a month, multiply it by the shop rate, and present it to the bean counters.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Log the time you spend waiting for your computer over a month, multiply it by the shop rate, and present it to the bean counters.

or find a job working for people who respect the skill and hard work it takes to do this work.

The fact that they give you accounting's hand me downs says all there is to say IMO

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SasquatchBuffalo said:

Sad. I showed one company how they were losing $250K a year having slow computers for the 5 programmers. That was just lost profit in programming; that was not even including down time waiting for programs because they didn't have what they needed. They bought one system and when the one programmer starting out producing the other 5 they quickly got 4 more. 🙄

3 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Sad. I showed one company how they were losing $250K a year having slow computers for the 5 programmers. That was just lost profit in programming; that was not even including down time waiting for programs because they didn't have what they needed. They bought one system and when the one programmer starting out producing the other 5 they quickly got 4 more. 🙄

surprised they didn't cut down to 3 programmers

4 minutes ago, htm01 said:

surprised they didn't cut down to 3 programmers

They got down to one, but it was not for this reason and I will leave it at that. Funny a tool salesman didn't know I was helping that customer. He asked me if I knew them and I told him when i was in there and he said okay that explains how they all of a sudden progressed in HST machining. They had rejected it before that then after embraced it. Don't do work for that customer and never will again, but that is one of the glad I could help situations even if it didn't turn out all that good. 

57 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

The system I have is 5 years old, an i7 w/12 GB RAM.  I had spec'd a much more robust system, but was told to trim it back, so I did.  Keep in mind, we don't do the complex parts that some of you guys do.  We're a vacuum forming shop, so my work is a lot of fairly simple wireframe trim/drill, but some surface models cutting molds in REN Shape.  Some of the mold files get a little interesting.

This year, we've had a lot of new parts from our largest customer.  The files they sent were huge for us, and took (on average) 45 minutes to open.  Even after I deleted elements I didn't need to build our parts, and saved the smaller files, they still took 15 - 20 minutes to open.  Some of the toolpaths took a lot of time to process.

Wish I had kept track of how much time I spent waiting for files to load, and toolpaths to process.  Wouldn't be surprised if I lost a week, just waiting.

4 minutes ago, JohnW@Kauffman said:

The system I have is 5 years old, an i7 w/12 GB RAM.  I had spec'd a much more robust system, but was told to trim it back, so I did.  Keep in mind, we don't do the complex parts that some of you guys do.  We're a vacuum forming shop, so my work is a lot of fairly simple wireframe trim/drill, but some surface models cutting molds in REN Shape.  Some of the mold files get a little interesting.

This year, we've had a lot of new parts from our largest customer.  The files they sent were huge for us, and took (on average) 45 minutes to open.  Even after I deleted elements I didn't need to build our parts, and saved the smaller files, they still took 15 - 20 minutes to open.  Some of the toolpaths took a lot of time to process.

Wish I had kept track of how much time I spent waiting for files to load, and toolpaths to process.  Wouldn't be surprised if I lost a week, just waiting.

You would be surprised how much time you really lost if you added it all up. People forget they lose double the time when they loose time. That is time you can't get back so you loose the original plus the time your not putting on something else. You didn't loose 45 minute you lost 1-1/2 hours since you couldn't work on other thing you could have been waiting on that to open. I may have 2, 3 or 4 Mastercam files open at a time so I am maximizing my time when programming. On your system with that little bit of Memory I would be concerned doing so.  

• Like 2