Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

G10 offset output from Zoller

Getting our new Zoller Redomatic setup to output a G10 file for tools.

Want some feedback on how you all do it...

I know I want G10 L10 for tool length

My question is diameters,,

Say I have a .750 diameter endmill that's been reground to .740 diameter.

I want G10 L13 PXX R-.005 Wear comp to be output, correct?

I do not want .740 in G10 L12 (Tool Diameter) unless we programmed from centerline of the tool correct?

I'm getting a lot of confusion on this in the shop...

I don't have experience with zoller presetters directly....

But I imagine it would depend on how you want to program the regrinds....

If you can output your **ALL** of your toolpaths using cutter comp, then I would imagine that YES you can use the wear offset amount(Radial or Diameter depending on how your machine is set up) and the toolpaths would make a good part. However if you are using a roughing routine that you cannot output cutter comp(HS toolpaths) then you will need to be aware that you will be leaving extra stock for your finish pass as most roughing paths are output without cutter comp and programmed to center line of tool.

The only reason you would want to put any value in the Tool Diameter would be if you are programming really old school and programming to part edge, letting the Cutter Comp adjust for the tool diameter. (I would not do this!)

It seems like a good happy medium is to use cutter comp to only comp the finish passes so the regrind would make a good part with maybe adding an extra spring pass to account for heavier stock. Or add a semi finish pass with cutter comp and that will account for the extra stock so your finisher has the same cutting conditions.

Example: The path is programmed using a .750Dia cutter but this time you are using a .740Dia regrind. Then the Wear value of -.005(Radial Difference from programmed tool to actual tool) will make a good part.

I imagine you can somehow calculate this when the zoller outputs the data by grabbing the variable for the Nominal Dia of the tool and using a simple math equation to calculate the Radial Difference from Nominal to Actual.

Example:

((Nomial Dia) - (Actual Dia))/2 = (Tool Wear Radial Value)

Hopefully someone with some direct experience can chime in as well.

Hope this helps!

On 9/19/2019 at 9:00 PM, Zoffen said:

I don't have experience with zoller presetters directly....

But I imagine it would depend on how you want to program the regrinds....

If you can output your **ALL** of your toolpaths using cutter comp, then I would imagine that YES you can use the wear offset amount(Radial or Diameter depending on how your machine is set up) and the toolpaths would make a good part. However if you are using a roughing routine that you cannot output cutter comp(HS toolpaths) then you will need to be aware that you will be leaving extra stock for your finish pass as most roughing paths are output without cutter comp and programmed to center line of tool.

The only reason you would want to put any value in the Tool Diameter would be if you are programming really old school and programming to part edge, letting the Cutter Comp adjust for the tool diameter. (I would not do this!)

It seems like a good happy medium is to use cutter comp to only comp the finish passes so the regrind would make a good part with maybe adding an extra spring pass to account for heavier stock. Or add a semi finish pass with cutter comp and that will account for the extra stock so your finisher has the same cutting conditions.

Example: The path is programmed using a .750Dia cutter but this time you are using a .740Dia regrind. Then the Wear value of -.005(Radial Difference from programmed tool to actual tool) will make a good part.

I imagine you can somehow calculate this when the zoller outputs the data by grabbing the variable for the Nominal Dia of the tool and using a simple math equation to calculate the Radial Difference from Nominal to Actual.

Example:

((Nomial Dia) - (Actual Dia))/2 = (Tool Wear Radial Value)

Hopefully someone with some direct experience can chime in as well.

Hope this helps!

Thank You..

That's exactly my thoughts,

Just deal with the excess stock from an undersize tool and output wear comp only.

https://www.zoller.info/us/products/presetting-measuring/shrink-solutions/redomatic