Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

formula for depth of thread?

cherokeechief79

my students are making threads in a manual lathe and were asking me how deep to go once the dial is set at 0.

I didn't have a good answer and said I usually bring it close and then thredmic it or see if a ring gage goes on.they were looking for something a little more specific like a formula or something.

any ideas?

we did learn that the flat on the tool should be 1/8 of the pitch.

thanks...our dials are set to dia

it looks like your chart says the single side depth is .75 of the pitch.

this is what I was looking for if its true.

also we are measuring the thread pitch with different methods.we have a pitch mic,wires and a set of triangles .

I don't have a chart for the triangles and I cant seem to find it on the internet.

does anyone know where I can find the chart?

Machinist Handbook defines all threads. Get them in the Habit of looking at the Thread Chart and understand what each dimension on a thread chart means.  Class 1, 2 or 3 have different sizes tolerances for things and then if you start looking at J threads, NPS, NPT and other threads then your students will be better prepared to handle these sitatuions when they get out in the real world and need to cut real parts. 

I was running a shop back around 2004/2005. We had a problem with a 1"-8 Thread done in a 8" deep bore. It was a class 2 Thread and we had a Zero true Position with Max Material Condition on the thread back to a +.000/-.0005 hole that was our primary datum. I had my own Thread Pitch Micrometers at the time(Since Sold them to a shop that needed them) and had the machinist make some custom Go No-Go PD gauges to the high side of the tolerance. I also threw out the tapping and bought an Advent Threadmill and thread milled all the holes to with in -.0015 of the high side of the Class 2 thread tolerance on the 1"-8 thread. On the chart below you see we have .9188 to .9276 tolerance for the PD on an Internal thread. We made all the threads .926 and never had a problem hitting the Zero True Position. We did have a problem with inspection not liking the Go gauge being loose, but the No Gauge never fit. They can read the page below and understand what it all means they will be better prepared for the real world. 

Thread_chart

• Like 1

After some search time, I found it. Attached pdf is from an older set that I have, I believe they were Brown/Sharpe but who knows. Depending on the style/mfg of your triangles, this sheet could be incorrect.

Its good that the students are getting multiple ways to check threads. But as Nickbe10 and 5th have stated, a lot depends on the class and spec of the thread when measuring. The root and/or crest of threads can cause more headaches than anyone could believe.

Most asked question I ever get is, "how come my no-go fits, but go will not?".  Most common answer is  " check pitch, then check the root rad/root dia, and crest trunc"  with the handbook values.

Hope this helps,

Rob

thread triangle sheet.pdf