Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Backing up the quick access toolbar in 2020

ratwizard

Hi guys. We just upgraded to 2020 and I made a custom quick access toolbar for the first time. I'd was hoping to copy a config file of some sort and get the same layout on a different computer but I can't figure out how. I tried copying and replacing the mastercam.workspace file as shown on https://www.inhousesolutions.com/2016/08/toolbars-resetting-adding-custom-backup-mastercam-2017/ but it's not doing anything. Anyone have any ideas? 

I always save the entire "My Mastercam" and "Shared Mastercam" folders. That gets everything you have set in Mastercam. If something goes wrong with an install I just wipe it, reinstall, and replace these 2 folders and I'm back up. 

Kevin K.

• Thanks 1

I tried copying "My Mastercam" and that didn't work. And somehow in doing that I got rid of all the stuff I was trying to save in the first place. Very confusing.

The only things that won't save across different computers are the quick access toolbar and the tabs I moved to the top of the toolpath manager.

The "Shared Mastercam" folder I'm not touching unless I need to. I share computers  with a couple other guys and I don't want to mess anyone else's settings up.

9 hours ago, ajmer said:

try copying the workspace file

in teh config directory

C:\Users\user.name\Documents\My Mastercam 2020\Mastercam\CONFIG

The workspace control this not the config. I have several backups of my workspaces. I am using 2020 with no ribbons and only QAT and to be honest I feel like I am not fighting as much to do my work. I am one who very much dislikes the Ribbons. 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

The workspace control this not the config. I have several backups of my workspaces. I am using 2020 with no ribbons and only QAT and to be honest I feel like I am not fighting as much to do my work. I am one who very much dislikes the Ribbons. 

I think one of your posts is why I tried the QAT in the first place, I'm not a big fan of the ribbons and I'd probably put the quick mask and selection bars on the QAT if I could too. It's too much clutter for my eyes.

I did get the mastercam.workspace file to work on a computer I didn't have set up already, so at least I have an idea of what was going wrong yesterday. Thanks for the help guys.

On 10/4/2019 at 6:06 AM, ratwizard said:

I think one of your posts is why I tried the QAT in the first place, I'm not a big fan of the ribbons and I'd probably put the quick mask and selection bars on the QAT if I could too. It's too much clutter for my eyes.

I did get the mastercam.workspace file to work on a computer I didn't have set up already, so at least I have an idea of what was going wrong yesterday. Thanks for the help guys.

Here is another way I keep a backups is by renaming the extension to .ronworkspace and .oemworkspace while keeping a backup of mine the original one and using one. Verisurf loves to overwrite your config files and since I use it quite a bit I even have a .verisurfworkspace saved in the config folder. I wish we could point the shortcut to .workspaces like we use to be able to do with the config files before workspaces got introduced. Then I could fire up as many different workspace files as I need with one click like we use to be able to do. I could write a bat file to do all of this and then assign that to a shortcut, but real easy to just change the .workspace as needed the way I do it. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, dillon527 said:

Which option in CONFIG saves all my hotkey configurations? I'd very much like to not have to re-select all of them if I do jump on someone's computer for the day. And also be able to also switch it back to what they had when I'm done.

The Workspace file handles your layout and right mouse button settings, the mastercam.kmp is the keystrokes...

As those files can only have one name, you would need to save them before you copied in your files to be able to revert to what the previous user had for settings.

19 hours ago, JParis said:

The Workspace file handles your layout and right mouse button settings, the mastercam.kmp is the keystrokes...

As those files can only have one name, you would need to save them before you copied in your files to be able to revert to what the previous user had for settings.

Welcome back, JP! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Also one should remember when playing with the Workspace file is that the this file gets saved  every time you exit Mastercam , so if you are developing the QAT or some other 

interface detail and you have several sessions open on your computer , the last session being exited is what you will end up saving  on the disk... 

So first  exiting the newly developed session and the exiting the older version will leave you with the older version of the Workspace file...

Gracjan 

• Thanks 1