Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DATUM QUESTION for Faro Arm Inspection/Verisurf

haroldm9123

Hey guys,

Im trying to figure out a part i have in front of me, usually its easier but for this one i am kind of confused.

i have enclosed a pic of the part in question. Datum A is the underside of the part. Datum B is the hole axis and Datum C is the other hole axis.

The question really is since datum A is the (floor) of the part, the Datum Origin is the intersection of a theoretical line to the intersection of Datum B and Datum C.  Does orientation affect the Datums? For instance the projected line from Datum B to C could really be at any angle.

Sorry if this is confusing but if you have an obvious answer to this please feel free to make me fee dumb! haha...i welcome it please.

thank you for any help in advance!!

INSPECTION REPORT 10-7-19.jpg

OPTION A.JPG

OPTION B.JPG

I've been out of the CMM game for a while (and I was never as clever as a full time operator), but I agree with your initial assessment that there's no way to "lock" the X & Y rotations around a hole axis, only to establish the Axis perpendicularity (axis Z) to Datum A (in this case)..   So I would think you'd have to establish another measurement to align the two holes to, either the short straight edge (image 2) or the long edge (image 3).  

Any chance you can show the 'feature control frame' and what your measuring in a little more detail? The datums on your pictures do not seem to be complete. As Aaron said, to create a line between points of a hole (top/bottom), would seem to mean its either an angled hole and everything is designated to the alignment of the angle at the -a- datum plane or its trying to prove perpendicularity on each measured feature . With no other controls/conditions listed, this would prove almost impossible to measure true positioning or anything else... without another alignment feature/datum. In GD&T, a lot of times a datum will have a specific control frame defining it (this might help)...  Then again, some new designers seem to think we on the floor just know how its defined and then its off to the design room for a pow wow. It might be time to bang on someone's door for a little clearer 'feature control frame'.

• 1 month later...