Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X5 user, new here

rinzler

Hi All,

As the title suggests I'm an X5 user who is also new here and also new to the world of CNC machining. 

I'm just wondering what would be the best course of action for me to take regarding learning how to use Mastercam professionally. I work for a wheel company, and I've been learning how to use Mastercam (We only have X5). I can so far toolpath a part provided that the drawing has 3D milling lines for me to follow for contours. I can't seem to figure out how to program a 3D solid. When I'm trying to program a solid, I have trouble selecting the surfaces, because it selects the entire part. I took a Mastercam basic course with the NTMA training center, but most of that was lathe and 2D milling, I've had a hard time trying to apply those basics to programming a solid forged wheel with different angles and surfaces. 

I appreciate any tips and feedback!

I'm not sure where you'd find good training materials on X5 nowadays.. That was almost a decade ago!  

Perhaps contacting your reseller or this site (emastercam.com) to see if they have any old content available for purchase?  

Solids selection was radically different a decade ago, but the important thing is to "activate solid selection" when you're selecting your geometry:

image.png.d4400f6ac2660fc01a944f610db70175.png

And turn of Solid Body so you're only selecting faces:

image.png.a9fa9840da61f5630ea0235084dbe65d.png 

Good luck, this will be the equivalent of getting help on Windows XP problems now..

1 hour ago, gcode said:

This website still has X5 material available in PDF format

https://www.emastercam.com/store/category/63-mastercam-x5/

1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

Good luck, this will be the equivalent of getting help on Windows XP problems now..

Wow, thank you for the quick response guys! I appreciate it and I will checkout the PDF's. 

X5 was the last Mcam to have the whole manual in one book/file. So if you look inside the mcam 5 directory for .pdf files , you should find a 20 meg behemoth . That will be the user manual.... 

I think it's under \documentation...

Gracjan

• Like 1
On 10/10/2019 at 3:22 AM, pullo said:

X5 was the last Mcam to have the whole manual in one book/file. So if you look inside the mcam 5 directory for .pdf files , you should find a 20 meg behemoth . That will be the user manual.... 

I think it's under \documentation...

Gracjan

I will check it out thank you very much!