Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ROUGHING 4 AXIS

ANESIMIN

I was trying to rough a helical gear to machine in a 4 axis vmc.

i have no problem with finishing using morph between two curves or flow or parallel.

i tried to rough with multi axis rough but it seems to be a 5 axis strategy [not supported with 4 axis machine]

i tried to rough with blade expert  like in the picture ,and when i try to run streaming simulation i got 'current tool path is not for 4 axis machine'.

which strategy should i use to rough this part .

Capture.JPG

13 minutes ago, ANESIMIN said:

I was trying to rough a helical gear to machine in a 4 axis vmc.

i have no problem with finishing using morph between two curves or flow or parallel.

i tried to rough with multi axis rough but it seems to be a 5 axis strategy [not supported with 4 axis machine]

i tried to rough with blade expert  like in the picture ,and when i try to run streaming simulation i got 'current tool path is not for 4 axis machine'.

which strategy should i use to rough this part .

Capture.JPG

Wow your company paid to get Blade Expert then you should reach out to Aaron at CNC Software he loves these kind of challenges. Once I can confirm your company I will be glad to assist, but if your company can afford Blade Expert they can afford to call the dealer and have them get Aaron involved. I know I am the meanest person the forum and sorry if I come across that way, but please prove me wrong by providing some information about your company and I will eat my words.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Wow your company paid to get Blade Expert then you should reach out to Aaron at CNC Software he loves these kind of challenges. Once I can confirm your company I will be glad to assist, but if your company can afford Blade Expert they can afford to call the dealer and have them get Aaron involved. I know I am the meanest person the forum and sorry if I come across that way, but please prove me wrong by providing some information about your company and I will eat my words.

i am a student . no company yet .i am just asking help  for person who whant to help. 

1 hour ago, ANESIMIN said:

i am a student . no company yet .i am just asking help  for person who whant to help. 

Perfect what college or school? I am glad to help anyone willing to learn, but do so to help those who are going about it the correct way. Sorry if I seem harsh I am not trying to come across that way, but for a living I program parts for customers and most times work myself out of a job showing and helping others. Kind of odd not doing like most I have meet over the year and keeping it all to myself. 

I will give you the benefit of the doubt. M<any ways to accomplish this task without even using a Multiaxis toolpath. You can unroll the geometry and drive a 2D peel mill through that tapered slot. You could also create a cross section and then extrude the cross section at the correct angle and us a 3D toolpath with Axis sub. You can use a 3D Parallel toolpath and axis sub with the correct setting. You can use a 2D contour with a Angle to have it come down the wall of the gear with Axis Sub. We start going to 5 axis and I can think of at least 10 different ways to machine that to rough it. You can also rough with the original toolpath you started with look under the roughing options in the settings on that toolpath. Many ways to get to what your after and if you put up a sample then someone can show you how to go about it. 

All the best and I only speak from over 30 years of experience which means nothing, but to say I have done it enough wrong ways to have a way to get it done. Not that my way is the best or I am anyone special because I am not. Keep learning keep exploring and like the attitude of not settling with one way. Keep exploring different options and methods. Keep a library of toolpaths you have tired here and there so you can reference them. I have copies of Macro and other stuff IU wrote by hand in late 80's I keep in note books to reference from time to time. I still have 3-1/2 floppies of program I did when using Windows 3.1. Can't remember everything so having something to reference will always help you when you need. Have a good day and weekend. 

• Like 1

I've done something similar by setting up a single plane and using 3ax surface finish contour to rough out a gear tooth. Then rotated the operation using transform for the remaining teeth. You have to play around to get that 1st plane set up to mill what ever you can.. It may work for your application. 

image.png.c67baf584ba43c249957b49e3e7125d1.png

On 10/12/2019 at 6:16 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

but to say I have done it enough wrong ways to have a way to get it done. 

thank you alot for your help . i think using the 2d area mill with tapered angle and air region  and then enrolling geometry  is a good way as i can work with rest roughing.

for finishing i used a multy axis toolpath

i have worked in one teeth and i see that roughing and finishing dont match . please have a look at the picture

how can i fix this . 

Capture.GIF

2 hours ago, ANESIMIN said:

thank you alot for your help . i think using the 2d area mill with tapered angle and air region  and then enrolling geometry  is a good way as i can work with rest roughing.

for finishing i used a multy axis toolpath

i have worked in one teeth and i see that roughing and finishing dont match . please have a look at the picture

how can i fix this . 

Capture.GIF

Can't pay attention to that. You need to run a machine simulation and see what they shows. When you start dealing with rolling and unrolling Mastercam back plot or even display if back plot gives you the correct representation of motion. Where either running it on the machine or using a machine simulation/verification is the best method to see real world application of the work. Like you quoted done enough wrong ways to know this much and sometime this is where the rubber has to meet to road and just go do it and see what happens.

4 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Can't pay attention to that. You need to run a machine simulation and see what they shows. When you start dealing with rolling and unrolling Mastercam back plot or even display if back plot gives you the correct representation of motion. Where either running it on the machine or using a machine simulation/verification is the best method to see real world application of the work. Like you quoted done enough wrong ways to know this much and sometime this is where the rubber has to meet to road and just go do it and see what happens.

One last question ,can i make transphorm toolpath with a rolled geometry toolpath.

i noticed i have the same A value for each pattern.

thank you again and again

5 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

The best way to get help on this is to post a valid Mastercam file instead of photos.

sorry i cant bring files at  home . its is forbidden at school. i photo them with my phone.

and also i like  doing it enough wrong ways to have a way to get it done.

44 minutes ago, ANESIMIN said:

sorry i cant bring files at  home . its is forbidden at school. i photo them with my phone.

Sorry but this story smells....I am involved with different schools and sharing files is not prohibited.

What school are you attending?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, zachlancy said:

Please post your social, date of birth, favorite color, hasp number, and shoe size.

name anes

date of birth 5/4/1997

color blue

shoe size 42

hasp number ----------------

i think things turned into  the wrong side. 

thanks to 5th axis cgl for his contribution .

i apologize for participating in this forum. 

1 hour ago, ANESIMIN said:

i think things turned into  the wrong side. 

thanks to 5th axis cgl for his contribution .

i apologize for participating in this forum. 

Don't let me or other scare you off. Are you in a Country where your only allowed certain freedoms to share things? If so then share what you can and we will try to help you as best we can, but understand if it gets to a point of crossing the education side of things help might be harder to give. 

15 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Don't let me or other scare you off. Are you in a Country where your only allowed certain freedoms to share things? If so then share what you can and we will try to help you as best we can, but understand if it gets to a point of crossing the education side of things help might be harder to give. 

thank you . i think i should begin with buying the The Mastercam 2020 Multiaxis Professional Courseware .and have Mastercam 2020 Home Learning Edition/Demo Software.

Multiaxis is included, but most Add-Ons are not included or supported. what does this means

thanks for advise

4 hours ago, ANESIMIN said:

thank you . i think i should begin with buying the The Mastercam 2020 Multiaxis Professional Courseware .and have Mastercam 2020 Home Learning Edition/Demo Software.

Multiaxis is included, but most Add-Ons are not included or supported. what does this means

thanks for advise

Add-ons are additional software that can be purchased to run inside Mastercam. These are called C-Hooks or Net-hooks. The Demo software will let you create 5X paths. 

I also recommend "Secrets of 5-Axis Machining", by Karlo Apro. That book is priceless for the learner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 11:47 AM, ANESIMIN said:

your school forbids you from taking part files home lol.. what kind of school does that???

also your photos you said you took with your phone are pretty good, pics i take with my phone of a screen are always crappy so nice pics they look as good as a screen capture. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1