Sign in to follow this  
Corey Hampshire

Better way to remove this material

HI Guys,

Can anyone come up with a better way to face this material off? I normally use contour like shown, but would like to have a more efficient path (stock driven). I have used trim in the past, but it would be tedious to do this 10-16 times depending on the part. 

It just seems like there has to be a way to generate a more efficient tool path to do this very simply.

FACING.mcam

Optirest with a stock model can be a better way however it won't be perfectly optimized. Lead-in will be optimized lead-out too but not as much as it could (tool will come out from material entirely before retracting).

Sometimes to get exactly what you want, you just have to go "old-school"

Draw your path exactly as you want it at each depth of cut....chain all the chains in a single path and set the Z value to incremental 0

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JParis said:

Sometimes to get exactly what you want, you just have to go "old-school"

Draw your path exactly as you want it at each depth of cut....chain all the chains in a single path and set the Z value to incremental 0

Welcome back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JParis said:

Draw your path exactly as you want it at each depth of cut

I just about had to do this on the part I am working on now.  At some point I am sure I will have to do it.  I can see saving another 5 minutes and increasing tool life significantly, just some small tweaks to the path that already exists.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was hoping for a quick easy solution tool path wise. I am currently playing with the Dynamic OptiRest. I have it setup just like David's sample and it wants to make a full arc in on the cuts. I don't know what to tweak to get me there? I realize dynamic is supposed to arc in, and that is exactly what it does. Anyone got any suggestions?

dynamic arc in.png