Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Work Offsets moving

JParis

I posted this this morning on the CNC Forum.....I can't be the only one seeing this issue...

I know this has been brought up previously but in 2020, I have noticed the issue seems even worse than the previous few versions...

Over these last several versions I have had to constantly adjust how I create work offsets..from the 2 Line method, to using a circle, to using a point, to duplicating now I am letting the system create the offsets.....yes all methods result in very unpredictable behavior and franky, time consuming as well

I find that offsets will not sit still, they move and there is no rhyme or reason of set of conditions that do it.....it appears thoroughly random.

One of the programmers here is having to redo and entire file because his offsets moved and he simply cannot get them placed back and to output properly.....I have lost days trying to get a set of offsets to output properly...

I don't know what has happened inside of the WCS Manager but something is very broken...

I don't create simple files, so a quick little file is not likely to exhibit the issue...I can have 30 parts on a tombstone and 120 offsets in a single file...I have tried locking them but that you can only do after you have them properly created and outputting properly..

This has to be addressed and soon...we are losing days to fightling this issue and frankly, it just can't continue.

Anyone else?

• Like 1

This has been broken since at least X7, possibly X6.

The only thing that has ever made things sorta reliable for me was creating the plane, then editing the plane to be associative afterwards.

Ie:

-Create a WCS using two lines

-Name the WCS and assign a work offset to it

-Create a point at the orgin/center of the WCS

-Edit the WCS and make WCS associative to the newly created point

20 minutes ago, Sticky said:

Ie:

-Create a WCS using two lines

-Name the WCS and assign a work offset to it

-Create a point at the orgin/center of the WCS

-Edit the WCS and make WCS associative to the newly created point

It's even more nefarious than that....after creation, they can just flat out move.....no rhyme, no reason, no editing, non-associative..just suddenly, not where you put it

27 minutes ago, JParis said:

It's even more nefarious than that....after creation, they can just flat out move.....no rhyme, no reason, no editing, non-associative..just suddenly, not where you put it

I have seen this on 4 axis and multiaxis programs which were on a constructed WCS, rather than using MC origin.

58 minutes ago, JParis said:

I'm familiar with that, but not with 2020 (haven't used it yet).

I should also mention after X9 I switched to MCfSW, which also has this issue, but the method I posted seems to resolve the issue.

I've been wondering how many tens of millions of dollars of parts and spindles have been scrapped worldwide over the last decade of this issue?

Thankfully I can't say I am seeing it. Per a lot of our customers we must run CAV on program we send them. Once we start a file it has been pretty much stable with this regard. I will keep an eye out for it and be sure I will report anything I see. Thanks for the heads up and glad to see you around again my friend.