Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Difficulty opening Solidworks files on shop computers

Redfire427

Hey guys,

I did a search on this topic but couldn't find anything related to my issues. I can open Solidwords 2019 part files on my computer in the office, however, the guys on the shop floor either get no import at all, or, they get an alarm that they don't have a Solidworks licence. We are using Mastercam 2019. We are retrieving the files from our server. When I try the shop computers, I go, File open / solidworks files/      now I see the file that I want ( lets say it is 500KB ) and if I select Options, I see that it shows zero entities. I can open the same file on my computer without any issues.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?  Thanks in advance.

Carmen

3 hours ago, Redfire427 said:

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?  Thanks in advance.

Save the file out of Solidworks as a parasolid (x_t or x_b). They should be able to import this (or open it) directly into MC.

Always the bullet proof method for file (model) transfer.

21 minutes ago, nickbe10 said:

Save the file out of Solidworks as a parasolid (x_t or x_b). They should be able to import this (or open it) directly into MC.

Always the bullet proof method for file (model) transfer.

Thanks and I am aware of the other file formats, but I'm not looking to add more complication in the engineering dept. I can open the Solidworks SLDPRT file on my computer without any issue at all. I do not have Solidworks installed on my PC. It is the shop computers that can't open the file. Basically Mastercam shows that the file they are trying to open contains no entities.

I tried moving the file from the server to the local and open it from the desktop and I still have the same issue.

I searched the Mastercam.com forum and found an old article about registering the Solidworks .dll from the advanced configuration and that didn't do the trick either.

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, xycnc said:

I could be off base, but could you download the solidworks E Drawings?

need *.sldprt files not the *.slddrw files. thx for your input.

41 minutes ago, JParis said:

Can't yet...next update will have the 2020 translator

okie dokie, guess the engineer will have to give me alternatives til then!  thx for the info