Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Optirough not doing what I think it should with rest material

huskermcdoogle

Toolpaths are dirty to save space on the upload.  Regen...

Anyway, I have a sample pocket here.  My pockets are similar, long in shape but this is the basic idea.  I want to rough the radius a little bit as I step out the wall.

I am pre-drilling to get into these pockets as we are cutting a superalloy and ramping any distance takes forever and wears out expensive tools.  Without using rest material, I get a decent result minus the control of the helix from the upper z depth to the lower z depth.  Ultimately it's wasted motion, but not a big deal, as it would end up being a two minutes on a five hour cycle.  I mainly want to know if I am missing something here, as I could see this as a problem down the road.  I feel we need more control here / why can't we just plunge.

If I select rest material it cuts the whole pocket twice! Once at the upper z depth and once at the floor, then steps up.  If you turn off the upper z depth it will cut around at the top of the surfaces, which I don't want to do.  It also does a full vertical retract instead of a minimum retract.  Makes no sense.

I you don't select the pocket walls you get a decent result minus the full vertical retract, but it's a minute longer...  Though this seems to be as it is not respecting avoidance wall geo.  If you force that with offset in toolpath control the two methods are in line with each other.  But you still get the full vertical retracts....

Optirough_Rest_Problem_2020.mcam

I often fight with that kind of stuff too...

For retraction, you can play with tolerances but it won't be perfect.

However, about useless upper 'spring pass' when you turn off the upper z depth, i guess toolpath is trying to machine surface sharp corner with tool radius. You can avoid it here with rest stock parameter 'Ignore small cusps' with value = tool corner radius value.

image.thumb.png.eed03e608967ab434c1a2b6bdef791a4.png

20 minutes ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Is there anything that can be done about the retracts coming all the way out instead of staying down?

I ended up doing adding a pocket pass with zero stock to leave at the top of the radius, ghosting it and adding it to the stock model.  This resulted in keeping the tool down.

Thanks everyone.  I think I can make this all work as I had envisioned it.

Edit:  I also changed the part clearance value to .05 insetad of .15.