Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spiraling in/out to a contour

JB7280

As the title suggests, let's say I want to drop down to the bottom of a contour, and take multiple passes with an even spiral.  Whether it a bore, or a square, or whatever.  Is there a way to take multiple passes like this smoothly, without retracting, or exiting, and re-entering??

Thank you.

4 hours ago, JB7280 said:

As the title suggests, let's say I want to drop down to the bottom of a contour, and take multiple passes with an even spiral.  Whether it a bore, or a square, or whatever.  Is there a way to take multiple passes like this smoothly, without retracting, or exiting, and re-entering??

Thank you.

If you do not want the retract you could set keep tool down.

4 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Thank you.

2D Dynamic. All day, every day.

• Like 1

Not a big deal, just something I did very easily in the software I used to use, and it was an option I liked having.  Just surprises me it's not there somewhere.

On 10/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

2D Dynamic. All day, every day.

But sometimes I don't want the dynamic moves.  I just want to do a nice smooth spiral to my final dimension.  Like a circle mill toolpath, but without the requirement of a circle.

On 10/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, peter ~ said:

If you do not want the retract you could set keep tool down.

This still makes the entry, exit moves.  I can take those out, but then the stepover moves are very harsh.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, ajmer said:

what about a 2d contour set to ramp

not sure if that is what you are looking for or not

I want to "ramp" in xy, not Z.

6 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

Offset the contour your desired stepover the number of passes you want.

Link the Chains with a tangent line from one radius to the next in the next contour on the next pass. 

Then you will have one single chain.

You can actually achieve it with a single contour of only the outer shape....use stepovers, keep tool down and in Lead In/Lead Out check enter & exit only on first & last

It won't zig-zag but constantly go around the contour

3 hours ago, JB7280 said:

But sometimes I don't want the dynamic moves.  I just want to do a nice smooth spiral to my final dimension.  Like a circle mill toolpath, but without the requirement of a circle.

Try playing around with Blend.

It is a surface path but it will do 2D quite happily.

You can chain a point and a closed contour or 2 open contours, never tried it but point and open contour might be interesting.

I have managed to get some good fast and smooth motion by playing with the various controls such as cut strategy (one way or zig zag etc.). I had a large blend radius against a wall and I was able to persuade it to make several step over passes surfacing  up the vertical wall slightly and then a large fast feed smooth arc back to the next step over start at the base of the radius.

Also note the 2D and 3D across and along controls. Don't be afraid to experiment, this is a very adaptable tool path.

3 hours ago, JParis said:

You can actually achieve it with a single contour of only the outer shape....use stepovers, keep tool down and in Lead In/Lead Out check enter & exit only on first & last

It won't zig-zag but constantly go around the contour

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  When I tried doing it that way it did one contour, then a straight stepover move in X or Y, then another contour, etc etc.  

1333151140_Annotation2019-10-21112148.thumb.png.a3e2f670829ba63dda6657cfb6c52ff1.png

20 minutes ago, JParis said:

and that's correct, without drawing geometry you have NO control over each move to engage...

I skipped keep tool down, because with the enter/exit on first/last depth it doesnt make a difference.  Looks like MC won't do it anyways, so it's moot.

1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

I skipped keep tool down, because with the enter/exit on first/last depth it doesnt make a difference.  Looks like MC won't do it anyways, so it's moot.

Try playing around with Blend.

It is a surface path but it will do 2D quite happily.

Have you tried what nickbe10 suggested? 

There is a 2d high speed blend that may get you close to what you're after.  You just have to play with the geometry and settings a little. You won't get cutter comp until the finish pass but you may not need it? 

PVKpvpD.png

• Like 1