Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Updating Casting stock models for Milling & Turning on large Milling Turning Integrated Machines

ToddG

Is it possible to use a Casting Model or Casting Stock Model through a complete process and have it update for Milling and turning operations?  I go back and forth between milling and turning operations when I process parts.  All seems fine when I begin a process by milling with a Casting Model, but when I begin Turning I get a revolved stock model and I can no longer see some of the cast features in verify for the next Milling process.  Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what that may be.  Tks!

12 hours ago, Leon82 said:

If the computer can pull both licences so you have all your ops in the same file make a stock model at the end of the turn op. And use that as stock for the mill op stock model

I guess creating stock model from lathe operations will make a revolve model. Perhaps it works with MT but not with standard mill/lathe. 

Typically I will take a solid of my casting and use my finish turning chains to make a revolve cut on the casting solid.

That leaves me with an accurate tight solid model to using as stock in my milling operations.

It can get complicated if you are going back and forth between lathe, mill then back to lathe as a mill produced stock model cannot go back to being 

an editable solid .

Ok, so what I think I'm reading here is if you are doing mill work and use the Casting Model as stock, do all the mill work and then do the turning work as once you begin turning... the stock model revolves and that's that. 

You basically will never see the Milled casting model with turning done to it?  🤷‍♂️

On 10/20/2019 at 3:37 PM, ToddG said:

Ok, so what I think I'm reading here is if you are doing mill work and use the Casting Model as stock, do all the mill work and then do the turning work as once you begin turning... the stock model revolves and that's that. 

You basically will never see the Milled casting model with turning done to it?  🤷‍♂️

it will show the stock as it would look spinning in a chuck, so it will look round just like it would look spinning in the actual chuck, but if you use mill toolpaths in lathe like C/Y axis milling it will show a stationary piece of stock when using stock models.