Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

POLYURETHANE???????

CountryMachinist

Sharp HSS tools were always what I used. Uncoated carbide tools made for cutting Aluminum will do okay as long as they have a sharp non honed edge to remove the sharpness. Some inserts are honed to sharpened them and others meant to knock off the sharp edge so be careful what your getting when it says honed edge because they are change depending on the tool. Depending on the parts Rice Paper Tape and Bondo to support it is one off if production parts then elaborate fixtures were sometimes made to support the parts. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Sharp HSS tools were always what I used. Uncoated carbide tools made for cutting Aluminum will do okay as long as they have a sharp non honed edge to remove the sharpness.

^^This^^ and generally slower speeds & feeds keep the material from gumming up the tool. 

Use air blast if you have it to blow the chips away from the tool. 

Like any unusual material, trial and error with speeds & feeds, and holding the part firmly may take some time.

We did some milling on polyurethane parts a few years back using 3D printed vacuum fixtures with suction cups to hold the part.  It worked pretty well as I remember, but I did need to work with the speeds and feeds quite a bit to find a happy medium.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!  :cheers: