Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Long Reach strategy

Rstewart

I'm attaching a snapshot of a part I may get stuck doing.  I can't share the file, but You can get the idea from the pic.  The corner radius on each side of the groove is .125", the small flat section - In the bottom of the groove is .05"  That's easy to cut, but that feature is 3" deep right up next to the wall....  I don't have a way to tilt as I go around (3 axis).

I know long reach Harvey Tools (possibly specials) will be needed, I can purchase pretty much any tooling within reason.

Anyone have any secrets they're willing to share?

Long_Reach.PNG

14 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Is that fillet tangent to the floor?  Is that floor ledge normal to Z?  What material?

Yes, it's normal to Z.  It's not just a full radius, there's a .05 wide flat section.  the slot overall width is .3"

But, yes that little ledge outlined in green is also normal to Z

It's 7050 T7 Aluminum

2 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

You could cut it straight with a necked reach custom .300 diameter with .050 corner radius, but you'd have to cut really slow to avoid chatter.  How many do you have to do?

Wouldn't it need a .125" R ?

I was thinking .187 ball and step down/over

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 4:02 PM, 5th Axis CGI said:

Slow rpm and slow feed rate with the correct tool and should be a piece of cake. I would do a necked stub flute lone reach tool. Benchmark now part of something, Helical or Harvey are 3 solid choices. 

Agreed...without a 5axis or rotary this would be good for Helical or Harvey tooling. Might have to be a custom, prob not though

.125 (1/8) .187 3.125 (25x) 3 1/8 4 959108 68.90 959108-C3

Harvey Tool. They have these in stock. No need to get anything necked down. This is 25:1 D2D Ratio. They also stock a 30:1 (3.75 Reach!). 

For $70 bucks each, I'd buy like 4 of them. That way you have a couple backups, just in case, plus you have a few arrows in your quiver for when you get another crazy request...

5 hours ago, Rstewart said:

Thanks Colin,

Management decided It was too high risk of part at the moment with what I've got going on.  There were other stupid features on the part as well. 

Wow tell them good job turning it down. I am sure some one will be glad to do it for no programming cost and more than willing to pay the customer $500 per part just so they can say they are doing for for that company. Plenty of companies out there hammering others to bank roll them with the promise of 50/100/100/5000 of parts if they will do them the favor of running just 5 or 10 for now at the 5000 part price run and no NRE cost because we promise to give you more parts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2