Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Codemeter vs Hasp

JParis

not here.

Having trouble with our nethasp though

It was flawless for years, lately we've been losing the license  a couple of times a week

The server locks up with 100% CPU usage

No idea why

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to Codemeter vrs Nethasp

I recently switched over and don't have any problems with it. With my hasp sometimes i had to restart codemeter service to get mill turn to load, for some reason i would find now and then it would disable iteslf and i would have to restart codemeters service, i don't know if i have a newer version of codemeter now or if its the software license but i never need to do that anymore, now every day i start my pc my mastercam and mill turn starts without needing to restart anything. So from my experience it works better than before when i had a hasp.

Just keep in mind you can only use the Software license with Mastercam 2018 Update#3 and later, so you lose the ability to open Mastercam 2017 files and prior, since I do tech support i have to keep a standard hasp key around for those customers and questions that we get in earlier versions but other that is the only software license limitation that i  dislike.

1 minute ago, JoshC said:

you can only use the Software license with Mastercam 2018 Update#3 and later, so you lose the ability to open Mastercam 2017 files and prior,

You mean open Mastercam 2017 and earlier, correct?

Opening a 2017 file in 2020 would have no issue, please tell me that's true

Just now, JParis said:

From an end user standpoint...none that I'm, aware of...

For network software licenses its much more User friendly for IT. Virtual networks are supported now, they were not before even though many got it to work with USB virtualization devices, no need for a USB hub on the virtual networks now. Also better supporting remote updates, network hasps cant be updated remotely (or its not supported, its  sometimes possible though depending on the remote connection type being used) now with software licenses you can remotely do the updates. network license users get lots of improvements 

3 minutes ago, JParis said:

You mean open Mastercam 2017 and earlier, correct?

Opening a 2017 file in 2020 would have no issue, please tell me that's true

you can open any of the files you used to be able to open in 2020, nothing changed there, what i meant is you cant run mastercam 2017 (but why would we want to though anyways so that doesn't bother me too much). So you can still open the same exact files you just cant run old softawre like 2017, or x9 or x8, etc.

1 minute ago, JParis said:

and how does it work if your maintenance expires?

I believe its just like before where you can still run mastercam and all the versions that have been working you just cant get any updates, so if mastercam 2021 is released and you dont have maintenance you can still run what you previously purchased but you just cant run anything that is released after your maintenance date, This also applies to updates that get released after an expired maintenance date.

6 minutes ago, JoshC said:

For network software licenses its much more User friendly for IT. Virtual networks are supported now, they were not before even though many got it to work with USB virtualization devices, no need for a USB hub on the virtual networks now. Also better supporting remote updates, network hasps cant be updated remotely (or its not supported, its  sometimes possible though depending on the remote connection type being used) now with software licenses you can remotely do the updates. network license users get lots of improvements 

Yes.. our IT dept is running our nethasp on a virtual server and a USB anywhere device and it's not very stable

It used to be on a an old PC and was bulletproof.

Just now, JoshC said:

I believe its just like before where you can still run mastercam and all the versions that have been working you just cant get any updates,

Believe...see that's the operative word there.....while we're renewing this year, mind you our cost is enough to buy a Mill3D+ seat every year, I'd really like to see that question verified

• Sad 2
2 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

We have one computer that is not networked or connected to any network so we need a Hasp option.

you must be thinking of Network licenses, They have Standalone Software licensees and Networkable software licenses, so even though your not connected to a network you can still run the standalone software license just like you do today with your hasp. I think you are under the impression software licenses are only server or networkable types but they have standalone software licenses too so you actually do have the option to switch if you would like.  Technically you need internet for a brief moment to activate the license unless the offline activation method is used.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, JoshC said:

you must be thinking of Network licenses, They have Standalone Software licensees and Networkable software licenses, so even though your not connected to a network you can still run the standalone software license just like you do today with your hasp. I think you are under the impression software licenses are only server or networkable types but they have standalone software licenses too so you actually do have the option to switch if you would like.  Technically you need internet for a brief moment to activate the license unless the offline activation method is used.

Josh can you have the standalone licence installed on multiple computers as we currently move our Hasps between a desktops and laptops (while working from home)?

2 hours ago, #Rekd™ said:

Josh can you have the standalone licence installed on multiple computers as we currently move our Hasps between a desktops and laptops (while working from home)?

Not insatlled on multiple computers simutaniously but you can Deactivate the license, then re-activate the license on another pc. So instead of unplugging the hasp and plugging it into a new computer with a stand alone software license you simple Deactivate the license, then re-activate on the other computer. Its just a code is all we use instead of a hasp but with an internet connection they are really easy to deactivate/reactivate, it uses the Mastercam activation wizard utility that installs with mastercam.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 10/24/2019 at 4:02 PM, JParis said:

From an end user standpoint...none that I'm, aware of... 

We use NetHASP and it has been giving trouble for years. I can't wait to get rid of it and use a software license instead - assuming it works more reliably. Codemeter is already used in Mill/Turn here, and as far as I know, it has worked flawlessly. On the other hand, NetHASP constantly fails to release license (both Lathe and Mill 3D) and I have to reset the HASP services several times weekly, if there is a lot of programming to be done. It has never been figured out why the licenses are not released even if Mastercam has been closed properly.

Is there yet a change of going fully software with 2022 in terms of license?

54 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

We use NetHASP and it has been giving trouble for years. I can't wait to get rid of it and use a software license instead - assuming it works more reliably. Codemeter is already used in Mill/Turn here, and as far as I know, it has worked flawlessly. On the other hand, NetHASP constantly fails to release license (both Lathe and Mill 3D) and I have to reset the HASP services several times weekly, if there is a lot of programming to be done. It has never been figured out why the licenses are not released even if Mastercam has been closed properly.

Is there yet a change of going fully software with 2022 in terms of license?

We were having issues with NHasp licenses getting "stuck".  And it ended up being caused by a user going from wireless to wifi, while logged into MC.  Or vise versa.  We also had an issue where my PC liked to occupy two licenses, and it would refuse to give one of them up.  

Just last week we switched to software licenses for our main programmers, and some network software licenses for the "floaters". Once we got through some initial setup issues, we've been very happy and everything has been stable.

• Like 1
On 10/24/2019 at 9:14 AM, JParis said:

Believe...see that's the operative word there.....while we're renewing this year, mind you our cost is enough to buy a Mill3D+ seat every year, I'd really like to see that question verified

There is no difference between a software license and a dongle in how Mastercam handles Maintenance Expiration.

• Like 1