Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Another 5 axis post question

I set up a post using the gen 5axis post for a table/table, AC machine.  I am getting good code at the machine - We are programming from Center of rotation just 3+2 toolpaths only. My problem is using MR1 or MR6. When C axis does a 180 degree rotation the Retracts are added to the code, but when c axis does a 90 degree rotation the retracts are not in the code and the z goes to the clearance plane in the op linking parameters. Is there a switch in the post that I missed. Thanks for any help. 

The use of 'MR6', depends on a few other Post Variables (switches) being set correctly, along with the use of MI8 (specific value of MI8, controls "auto-retract" behavior).

• Are you trying to use MR6? (Is that what you want to use "all the time"?)
  • Try setting MI8 to '3' for all the Toolpaths, and then *Force* a Regeneration. (Note: All paths must 'force' a regeneration, when changing MI or MR values. Otherwise the 'new value' doesn't actually get written to the NCI File!)
  • I believe that MR1 and MR6 are mutually exclusive. You get one, or the other, but I don't believe you get both during a single retract/approach move, but I could be wrong.
  • What is your setting for 'use_stck_typ'? This must be set to '1' or '2' for the MR6 switch to work at all. Typically, we use '2', but set all the 'up_' and 'lw_' limit variables to 0.0. That would force the Post to always use the MR6 value, but the output is always triggered by the MI8 setting (controls what kind of 'operation change', null or actual, forces the Post to generate "Approach/Retract" moves). It also depends on the type of work you do. If much of it is "rectangular" shaped for your Stock, then I will use '1' for the Stock Type (so it pulls the size from your Stock Definition). When using the Stock Definition, there is an additional variable (clear_stck), which you can use as an "incremental approach/retract value, from the Stock Setup - Stock Boundary (calculated by the Post, by reading the values passed in the NCI file, which gives the 'stock extents').
  • Do you have 'retract_on_rpd' set to '1'?
  • Try changing the MI8 to '3' first, and re-testing, before messing with the 'limit trip' variables below. Adjust these as a last resort. I honestly have not tested them enough to know how they influence the 'internal math and logic routines', which make the decisions inside the PSB file. So use/change them at your own risk. Make sure to save/backup extra copies of the Post before you start. Also, I recommend making a "test Post", where the name Post Name is different. To do this, you must also rename a copy of the PSB file, to have the identical name as the PST file.

What are your settings for the following variables? Change these after testing the other settings above.

1. 'p_rsoft_tol' (Try '45')
  2. 'adj_lim_trp' (Try '89')
  3. 'p_rsoft_tol3' (Try '89')

• Like 1

Thanks I’ll check those on the am. Not at the shop but from memory those variables were at 45, 90, and 90.  And ‘retract_on_rpd’ set to 1. 

I don’t want to have MR6 all the time, but when I was doing my testing I was using MR6 or MR1 to see the behavior on 90 degree rotations.  I had a job when all the rotations were around the C axis while the A was tilted at -90. I put a 3 in value in MI1 and it Posted the Z retracts fine for C0-C180, or C180 to C360, but C0to C90 or C180 to C270 it did not post with the additional Zretract. 

Thanks for responding, now I have somewhere to start in the Am. 

Colin I did some testing and got the MR1 to work by changing the lim trip variables to 45. It works great on jobs I am currently running. During testing I tried MR6=10.  with MI8=3 Got no additional safe level z retracts. The upper and lower z limit variables  are set to 0.0 and use_stk_typ is set to 2.

I tried MI7=1., MI=8., and MR=10.  and it did post with the MR6 retract Z10. but also add an additional Z0. Approach.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time man I appreciate it

On 10/30/2019 at 7:18 AM, balnh said:

Colin I did some testing and got the MR1 to work by changing the lim trip variables to 45. It works great on jobs I am currently running. During testing I tried MR6=10.  with MI8=3 Got no additional safe level z retracts. The upper and lower z limit variables  are set to 0.0 and use_stk_typ is set to 2.

I tried MI7=1., MI=8., and MR=10.  and it did post with the MR6 retract Z10. but also add an additional Z0. Approach.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time man I appreciate it

Did you remember to "force a regeneration" before each Posting when doing your tests?

When you change MI or MR values, it does not mark the Operation as Dirty, so the values actually don't get written to the NCI file. I'd confirm that first, before we do additional testing.

Making Post Changes, it is easy to see the output change. Making MI/MR changes, it can be deceiving, if you aren't aware that you must force the Ops to Regenerate to see the output change...

Yes I Regenerated, 

I set MR6 to 10. And MI8 to 3. Use_stk_typ set to 2 with 0’s in the Limits And it did not post the the safe retract at all. 

I got good results with MI7=1, MI8=3 and set set use_stk_typ to 2. I set the upper limit to 10. And it did post Z10. at every Rotation Which is good.