Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Faster Programming 5 axis.

johnr4mbo

Hi Again.

First of all i love this forum. 😁

Always Many Reply's, everyone wants to help eachother, Love it.

I was wondering what everyone thinks on how to Program 5 axis parts the fastest way.

For example Do you guys use FBM Mill/Drill for 5 axis parts?

We have alot of single piece parts that need to be made, but useally programming takes longer than making the part.

We are trying to reduce that, so maybe you guys have some idea's on that.

Sorry if my english is bad.

Thx in advance,

Rick

47 minutes ago, huskermcdoogle said:

Operation Defaults, Template Files, and Operation Libraries ready for import is all I can suggest.

+1 to those recommendations, 

And practice, practice, then practice some more. Just like anything else the more exposure and time you have with something the better you will be and faster you will be. So if you can practice on sample parts (which can be downloaded on mastercams tech exchange) and review some of those files they might get you started. Its also nice to see other peoples files so that is why i like to download files from the tech exchange since they show proper use of each toolpath on those tech exchange parts. 

Training always helps, your reseller probably offers some and there are some online resources too, mike with cam instuctor just released a free lesson from one of their courses which you can view here https://blog.caminstructor.com/free-5-axis-lesson, i think caminstructor has some great training courses and so does university.mastercam.com as well.

But i think the most important thing as mentioned above is to just practice. Maybe purchase some kind of course (many are available for multi-axis work and even courses here on emastercam.com for that type of work https://www.emastercam.com/store/) and then from there just get a little keyboard time to experiment with the multi-axis paths. 

So those are my recommendations, Training and practice, as long as you get enough of both you will be just fine. and ask for help when you need it, your local reseller can asssist with questions and so can many of the users on here so if you get stumped or stuck on something don't hesitate to ask for help and i am sure someone will be able to help you through it. 

One more thing to keep in mind is there is never just 1 way to get something done, so keep an open mind, there might be 10 different toolpaths that can be used for 1 application, its important to understand that there is almost always more than 1 correct answer for mastercam multi-axis, so dont get too hung up on just one way of doing something even if you seen someone else do something similar on another file. 

You just need to get one of these  :D

WPNvUOz.jpg

But seriously, all  mentioned above help greatly...just the experience factor just takes some time to develop

:side note:  I tend to stock with only a few standard stock sizes to minimize prep and for stock availability...the smallest piece of stock that if fits, that works for the process, that's what the part comes out of...sometimes you do remove a little more stock than you might but by having a prepper block ready to go....you can have it on the machine pretty quick...plus I have the luxury of programming off the floor...no machine sits and waits for me..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Check out the NETHOOK and CHOOK project templates and sdk at mastercams website --> 3rd party developers --> downloads, you can automate everything from geometry creation to operation and toolpath creation / custom setup sheets and more!