Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

TAPER FORM SURFACE FINSH

Spotterhphc

Hello,

I am currently toying with Taper Form tools, as many people are these days, but am having a hard time getting the surface finish I desire. I contacted Emuge and spoke with an engineer and was given parameters to start with. They were pretty dang close. I have narrowed down the possible reasons for poor finish and landed on tolerance within the toolpath. I am using multiaxis parallel and have tried a number of things to remedy this.

Does anyone have any experience with these tools and this toolpath and know a good "cut tolerance, max distance" that will make great surface finishes? Or anything at all. 

I have tried anywhere from .00005 cut tolerance and .002 max distance, up to .0002 cut tolerance and .02 max distance and a few in between. The surface is ever changing in all directions. Very gradual, but changing. For scale, the surface is 37" from tip to tip. A Pringle potato chip is the best explanation as to how the surface changes in all directions. XYZ

Thanks for any input

parallel.jpg

What version of Mastercam and what Emuge Tool Library are you using? We have used them and had to do some extra things in 2019 and Previous version to get good output. In 2020 with the 2020 Emuge Tool Library using them worked better and produced better results is why I am asking. Like you we have had to play with the settings and see which is the sweet spot. Which tool are using specifically? What is your holder? What are you step over amounts? Emuge does a good job with their applications staff, but each parts, machine and other things really require time to dial this stuff in correctly.

Using 2019 mcx and 2019 library. the specific tool is manufacture# 3540L.12200A. 42.5° taper form.

Tool Holder is Sandvik 12mm Hydraulic pencil Capto C6 

Step over has been .04-.05. 

material to remove is .01

i do have 2020 installed i just haven't moved over yet with this part file.

Thanks

40 minutes ago, Spotterhphc said:

Using 2019 mcx and 2019 library. the specific tool is manufacture# 3540L.12200A. 42.5° taper form.

Tool Holder is Sandvik 12mm Hydraulic pencil Capto C6 

Step over has been .04-.05. 

material to remove is .01

i do have 2020 installed i just haven't moved over yet with this part file.

Thanks

Redo the program in 2020 with the 2020 Emuge Tool Library and see if that makes a difference for you. I can't remember what about the tool definition had some issues, but there were some minor issues on one part we were doing for a customer. Once we switched the 2018 file over to 2020 that problem went away using these tools.