Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

threading tool setup

carryinwood

25 minutes ago, carryinwood said:

Wheres the proper place to setup a threading tool. on the Leading Edge of the Insert or the Point.

Thanks in advance 

Logically, for your setup and code to work you would need to do both as you need both values to accurately measure your tool, which I suppose creates an "imaginary" point using the "Leading Edge" : Z coordinate and the "Point " X coordinate . This point would be your reference of how deep to go into the part on each axis.

1 hour ago, carryinwood said:

Wheres the proper place to setup a threading tool. on the Leading Edge of the Insert or the Point.

Thanks in advance 

I use the point of the insert, like Roger showed. I touch off the face, set the offset to the face, then make an incremental adjustment to the offset, so that the center "tip" of the V is the driven point of the tool in the part program. This allows me to get thread length, chamfer, and pull-back settings correct.

I never have setup a threading tool in Mastercam the way Roger has set it up Sorry Roger. I always program Zero to the edge of the tool. I want my tool to go to .999 up against a 1.000 should then I can program .999 and know if the operator touches of the tool correctly it will never crash. By going off the center of the tool you run the risk of a crash. I do it like Peter is suggesting and never had a problem making a good thread yet. 

• Like 5