Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic Optirough

AMCNitro

But you can use a boundary that allows you to go outside the part and start. That is the secret of this toolpath. The stock is a part of the toolpath's power, but the labeling of some of the ability is lacking. Yes you want to start from the outside, but if you don't know the secret of using a boundary with a negative amount 2X to 3X your tool diameter then hard to know that even though the option greys out to start from outside it is starting from outside of the stock, but inside or center of the containment boundary. This is helped in many cause where I want to go into a tight areas, but still want the tool start from the outside. I then draw my boundary taking all of that into account and now I got a very nice toolpath. Next Step is stock models. Yes they grow the file exponentially, but when your looking to eliminate air cuts and get the most efficient toolpath then you take the time to use stock models; sometimes only need 3 to 5, but other times I might need 60 stock models in a programming file. Boundary is just a term and ignore the inside or outside in all reality if you are in open space by either using a large negative value or drawing a extremely large boundary. If you not in open space then play very close attention to how you want to use your boundary. Center or Inside are the ones I use the most. About 50/50 on using them. Inside or outside with a stock model in all reality is useless, but since they haven't made the software interface smart enough to not grey, but hide what you can't use then it create confusion. I have trained well over 50 programmers on this one topic and every time they see the process and ignore what the software is telling them they should be doing they get it and then are better for it. 

Had one customer fighting for weeks on a Ti part. In 5 minutes of showing him this he saved 3 hours of run time and was ready to not switch CAM Software's.  He keep having to slow it down because it kept wanting to ramp into his part. He had the boundary for a reason, but just didn't grasp how important the room requirements were for the toolpath. Once we tweaked it to not hit the part next to it with .02 clearance and a bump out area for the tool to work into then he got perfect motion and not improved his tool life by 200%, but then reduce the 3 hours of run time. I figure that 5 minutes of time in one year saved them about $250k a year on the production job they were and are still running. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

But you can use a boundary that allows you to go outside the part and start. That is the secret of this toolpath. The stock is a part of the toolpath's power, but the labeling of some of the ability is lacking. Yes you want to start from the outside, but if you don't know the secret of using a boundary with a negative amount 2X to 3X your tool diameter then hard to know that even though the option greys out to start from outside it is starting from outside of the stock, but inside or center of the containment boundary. This is helped in many cause where I want to go into a tight areas, but still want the tool start from the outside. I then draw my boundary taking all of that into account and now I got a very nice toolpath. Next Step is stock models. Yes they grow the file exponentially, but when your looking to eliminate air cuts and get the most efficient toolpath then you take the time to use stock models; sometimes only need 3 to 5, but other times I might need 60 stock models in a programming file. Boundary is just a term and ignore the inside or outside in all reality if you are in open space by either using a large negative value or drawing a extremely large boundary. If you not in open space then play very close attention to how you want to use your boundary. Center or Inside are the ones I use the most. About 50/50 on using them. Inside or outside with a stock model in all reality is useless, but since they haven't made the software interface smart enough to not grey, but hide what you can't use then it create confusion. I have trained well over 50 programmers on this one topic and every time they see the process and ignore what the software is telling them they should be doing they get it and then are better for it. 

Had one customer fighting for weeks on a Ti part. In 5 minutes of showing him this he saved 3 hours of run time and was ready to not switch CAM Software's.  He keep having to slow it down because it kept wanting to ramp into his part. He had the boundary for a reason, but just didn't grasp how important the room requirements were for the toolpath. Once we tweaked it to not hit the part next to it with .02 clearance and a bump out area for the tool to work into then he got perfect motion and not improved his tool life by 200%, but then reduce the 3 hours of run time. I figure that 5 minutes of time in one year saved them about $250k a year on the production job they were and are still running. 

I always forget about boundaries, but I do use stock models.  Luckily I don't make anything with a lot of operations at this job, as I do have experience with needing many stock models.  Thank you Ron.

• Like 1