Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Flowline plunges tool at 50%

Phobos

I'm newer to mastercam and am having trouble with choosing the correct toolpaths to accomplish what I need. In this case I am trying to use a flowline with a bullnose endmill to machine an L shaped bracket with a radius larger then that of my tool. The idea is a 2% stepover with a 1.250" diameter endmill with a 1.170" DOC. The path looks ok as it does this back and fourth in X axis and steping in the Y axis as expected but when the cutter feeds down for the first pass it is putting the cutter in line to cut half the diameter of the tool before it goes into 2% passes. The tangential line length moves me away from my cut in one axis, Is there something that tells the path to start further out as to not engage more then 2% from start to finish

canwestarttoolsooner.emcam

9 minutes ago, Phobos said:

I'm newer to mastercam and am having trouble with choosing the correct toolpaths to accomplish what I need. In this case I am trying to use a flowline with a bullnose endmill to machine an L shaped bracket with a radius larger then that of my tool. The idea is a 2% stepover with a 1.250" diameter endmill with a 1.170" DOC. The path looks ok as it does this back and fourth in X axis and steping in the Y axis as expected but when the cutter feeds down for the first pass it is putting the cutter in line to cut half the diameter of the tool before it goes into 2% passes. The tangential line length moves me away from my cut in one axis, Is there something that tells the path to start further out as to not engage more then 2% from start to finish

canwestarttoolsooner.emcam

On the 1st tab is the direction check box. You checked it, but didn't change the values. Change the values to give you some lead in and then it will do exactly what your asking it to do. Thank you posting up a file so we could play along at home. Have a good night.

Edited by crazy^millman
Pictures removed to add space
4 minutes ago, Phobos said:

I don't think this is what im looking for...The first cut is cutting 50% of the cutter then it takes much smaller cuts how can I make all the cuts smaller even though I used the solid face to define toolpath

You will have to extend the surface since that is what the surface toolpath is meant to do. You can use a Moduleworks toolpath that allows for you to extend the start surface to not have the 50% on the 1st pass.

Either way you wouldn't want the tool plunging down on to the surface you would want it plunging in space so what I have showed you is that ability.

3 minutes ago, Phobos said:

Here is a file with a red circle where the tool comes down and a green circle where I want it to start so everyone can see what im trying to do. A tall but very small radial DOC because im only holding this part by .080.

circleshowandtell.emcam

Well you are using the wrong tool and approach then. Why are you climb milling and then conventional milling? This is not a good way to CNC Machine this part.

Why are you wanting to use a surface toolpath on a flat part? Is the part being machined from a solid billet or from an angle shaped section?

You can use 2D toolpaths with a smaller Bull nose cutter with the correct rad. The cutter you are using is quite large vs the the wall thickness of the vertical section, you will get a lot of vibration/ chatter I would assume.