So not a Guru

Cleaning tool holders

What do y'all do for keeping tool holders & collets clean? We use a lot of ER collets and keeping the holder nuts (especially the grooves around the retaining ring) is challenging for our operators.

Wire Brush for the inside of the collet nuts and fine scotch brite for the holders and collets. Plenty of elbow grease. 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Wire Brush for the inside of the collet nuts and fine scotch brite for the holders and collets. Plenty of elbow grease. 😉

Zactly how I've done it for years. Apparently, the elbow grease part is what they find, I'm being kind here, "challenging".

6 hours ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

I have been wanting to try using one of these for that purpose but have yet to get around to it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-Liter-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-63256.html

This is kind of what I was thinking. Not sure a CAT 40 holder would fit though, much less a CAT 50. If I can find one a bit larger, I might give it a go.

6 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

This is kind of what I was thinking. Not sure a CAT 40 holder would fit though, much less a CAT 50. If I can find one a bit larger, I might give it a go.

I wasn't thinking the whole holder...more just the nut & the collet. Those 2 things seem to collect the tough to clean FOD more than the holder.

• Like 1

You can get some pretty big ultrasonic cleaners off ebay for under 150 bucks that would fit most CAT 40 holders. I ordered one for doing parts post tumbling, never tried any of my tooling though. 

12 hours ago, Joe777 said:

Varsal+Ultrasonic almost always solves my tool run outs.

What is Varsal?

Kevin K.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kostiuk said:

What is Varsal?

Kevin K.

Hello Kevin,

Varsal is a chemical company, I believe they make a couple different solvents for use in ultrasonic cleaners.

I guess the correct question should have been, which Varsal chemical are you using? They seem to have quite a few and I don't see where they specify one for an ultrasonic cleaner.

Kevin K.

8 hours ago, kostiuk said:

I guess the correct question should have been, which Varsal chemical are you using? They seem to have quite a few and I don't see where they specify one for an ultrasonic cleaner.

Kevin K.

I was wondering about this too. What is usually used in a ultrasonic cleaner?

On 11/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, So not a Guru said:

I was wondering about this too. What is usually used in a ultrasonic cleaner?

We have a  Layton cleaner (designed for electronics/components) that uses isopropyl alcohol.  I've seen smaller units run with just water, and also with Simple Green.  I think you're only limited by the unit itself.  (AFAIK) Nothing about ultrasonic cleaning dictates the use of a certain solvent, just how the manufacturer builds their cleaner.  

+1 to Rons small wire brush - spark plug brush - you can get nylon stiff ones too, like a tooth brush on steroids :D

And also the ultrasonic works well.

14 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

+1 to Rons small wire brush - spark plug brush - you can get nylon stiff ones too, like a tooth brush on steroids

Yes, I use those and also, different diameter spiral wire brushes to clean the bores.

Awesome.

I didn't even know they have one of this..  thanks for the suggestion I will get my company to buy me one of this

We had a few ER collets and holder nuts get crusty n rusty a while back.  Just poor a little vinegar into a container and soak for 2 or 3 hours, cleaned them up real nice.

Google cleaning rust with vinegar.

:cheers:

A better question would be, how do you make sure the people in shop clean the tool holders?

• Like 2

We did 100% vinegar, the video says 50% water.

We sprayed the parts down good with WD40 afterwards to stop the acidic reaction.

We got another rusty mold a customer had shipped back from China. The cavity was smeared in grease so it was OK. We tried the vinegar bath and here are a few pic's. A sandblaster would be quicker, but this does work. Make sure to spray the steel with WD40 afterwards to neutralize the acid of the vinegar. The pic's are the rails and back plate of the housing. The line on the rails is from the fluid line.

Vinegar (1).JPG

Vinegar (3).JPG

Vinegar (4).JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Midwest said:

We got another rusty mold a customer had shipped back from China. The cavity was smeared in grease so it was OK. We tried the vinegar bath and here are a few pic's. A sandblaster would be quicker, but this does work. Make sure to spray the steel with WD40 afterwards to neutralize the acid of the vinegar. The pic's are the rails and back plate of the housing. The line on the rails is from the fluid line.

Vinegar (1).JPG

Vinegar (3).JPG

Vinegar (4).JPG

Thats nice because then your not dealing with harsh chemicals or anything because if the vinegar gets on your cloths or skin its not a big deal. But keep the baking soda away otherwise you might have a catastrophic volcano!