Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cleaning tool holders

So not a Guru

6 hours ago, MIL-TFP-41 said:

I have been wanting to try using one of these for that purpose but have yet to get around to it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-Liter-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-63256.html

This is kind of what I was thinking. Not sure a CAT 40 holder would fit though, much less a CAT 50. If I can find one a bit larger, I might give it a go.

6 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

This is kind of what I was thinking. Not sure a CAT 40 holder would fit though, much less a CAT 50. If I can find one a bit larger, I might give it a go.

I wasn't thinking the whole holder...more just the nut & the collet. Those 2 things seem to collect the tough to clean FOD more than the holder.

• Like 1
On 11/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, So not a Guru said:

I was wondering about this too. What is usually used in a ultrasonic cleaner?

We have a  Layton cleaner (designed for electronics/components) that uses isopropyl alcohol.  I've seen smaller units run with just water, and also with Simple Green.  I think you're only limited by the unit itself.  (AFAIK) Nothing about ultrasonic cleaning dictates the use of a certain solvent, just how the manufacturer builds their cleaner.  

We got another rusty mold a customer had shipped back from China. The cavity was smeared in grease so it was OK. We tried the vinegar bath and here are a few pic's. A sandblaster would be quicker, but this does work. Make sure to spray the steel with WD40 afterwards to neutralize the acid of the vinegar. The pic's are the rails and back plate of the housing. The line on the rails is from the fluid line.

Vinegar (1).JPG

Vinegar (3).JPG

Vinegar (4).JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
31 minutes ago, Midwest said:

We got another rusty mold a customer had shipped back from China. The cavity was smeared in grease so it was OK. We tried the vinegar bath and here are a few pic's. A sandblaster would be quicker, but this does work. Make sure to spray the steel with WD40 afterwards to neutralize the acid of the vinegar. The pic's are the rails and back plate of the housing. The line on the rails is from the fluid line.

Vinegar (1).JPG

Vinegar (3).JPG

Vinegar (4).JPG

Thats nice because then your not dealing with harsh chemicals or anything because if the vinegar gets on your cloths or skin its not a big deal. But keep the baking soda away otherwise you might have a catastrophic volcano!