Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock Models not generating

sosnowski127

Currently using Mastercam 19, although this is not an issue that just recently started happening.  Quite often, I am unable to generate a Stock Model.  I can usually fix this by selecting fewer toolpaths and making multiple Stock Models if needed.  For some reason this doesn't seem to be working either.  It will attempt to generate for hours, then just result in a dirty operation.

As a workaround, sometimes I will just use Verify, and Save Stock as STL.  Of course, this often results in the dreaded hollow stock model.  I attempted to Save the Stock Model that is referencing the external STL as a PMesh.  Then I reference the Pmesh model with the Stock Model, and I still get the same results, hollow stock model.  Am i missing a step here in creating the solid Stock Model?

2 minutes ago, sosnowski127 said:

Currently using Mastercam 19, although this is not an issue that just recently started happening.  Quite often, I am unable to generate a Stock Model.  I can usually fix this by selecting fewer toolpaths and making multiple Stock Models if needed.  For some reason this doesn't seem to be working either.  It will attempt to generate for hours, then just result in a dirty operation.

As a workaround, sometimes I will just use Verify, and Save Stock as STL.  Of course, this often results in the dreaded hollow stock model.  I attempted to Save the Stock Model that is referencing the external STL as a PMesh.  Then I reference the Pmesh model with the Stock Model, and I still get the same results, hollow stock model.  Am i missing a step here in creating the solid Stock Model?

For best results the stock model operation from operation manager should work fine. If your result 3d model is a sheet solid you could try create surface from solid then create solid from surface with a .005 tolerance for example, this usually takes care of the small gaps.

32 minutes ago, sosnowski127 said:

Nope that its pretty common with Stock models. We just do like your doing whatever it takes to get the job done. I will on very large and complex models make sure when I am making OPTI-Rough toolpaths I keep the selection of my surfaces to only what is needed. To many people get lazy and pick a complete solid for the toolpath. Yes sometimes it is not fun picking 300 or so surfaces on a 36k of surfaces model, but when you tell Mastercam the equation has to be run on 36K surfaces verses 300 then the calculations take that much long. The same calculations carry over to the stock model. The more the operation had to figure out that was not needed the more the stock model operations have to also figure out. Level and boundaries are key. I will also use the Verisurf Reverse add-on to work with STL files for the stock models. The Pmesh can be read directly in to the Verisurf reverse and I can crop and make the needed are the only are I am doing calculations on. Another thing is kick the tolerance up. The stock model is just for toolpath calculations so no need to use tight tolerances for the stock model.

The other thing is the Pmesh wash process we use. We will do like you're doing and save a STL from Verify. Problem is 99% of the time they are hollow. Not good for a stock model sicne now you do something and the skin is gone, but to make it work for a stock model you need to wash it using the stock model process. You save out the STL from Verify. You then import into your file on a level. You then pick that model and have a useable stock model that shouldn't be hollow. Another trick I like to do is break the link in the stock model once I get things to a point where I know they will not change. I will save it out as a Pmesh at that point and then unselect all the operations and now pick that Pmesh to be stock model. Now I have a stock model at that point of the operations, but not have to worry they don't break anything after it.