Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Anyone dynamic milling 13-8 PH?

lowcountrycamo

13-8 PH 42-48RC.  I program at an aerospace shop and we have many older poorly programed parts I am modernizing.  I have been roughing with 1/2 to 3/4 solid 5,7,9 flute at 300sfm 5% radial and .0016 for 1/2 and .0024 for 3/4, which give about 50-60 IPM.  I am asking because I have seen some examples of SFM from 400 to 600.  The IMCO book which is the brand we use says 440.  Niagara show more and cutting dry.  Has anyone had any luck cutting dry?  What is your go to numbers?  

Much appreciated

Steve Austin

17 minutes ago, lowcountrycamo said:

13-8 PH 42-48RC.  I program at an aerospace shop and we have many older poorly programed parts I am modernizing.  I have been roughing with 1/2 to 3/4 solid 5,7,9 flute at 300sfm 5% radial and .0016 for 1/2 and .0024 for 3/4, which give about 50-60 IPM.  I am asking because I have seen some examples of SFM from 400 to 600.  The IMCO book which is the brand we use says 440.  Niagara show more and cutting dry.  Has anyone had any luck cutting dry?  What is your go to numbers?  

Much appreciated

Steve Austin

500 to 600 might work with that material however you will need to assign a lower cutting speed to your helical entry to avoid burning your tool. If you have air jets it would be good for something like this..

1 hour ago, lowcountrycamo said:

Here is a vid at 1000sfm dry.  Material here is 17-4 at 44rc. 13-8 is a little tougher but hardest is equal to my material..    this tool could have busted after just one part.   https://youtu.be/BsBDnO9yMaQ

I wonder if it is worth it to maintain climb instead of zigzag, I do not prefer climb anymore.Seems like too much time goes into those microlifts. I used to cut a lot of 17-4 ph dry on a conventional lathe. It is tough stuff .Typically when Im cutting stainless on a mill I use a stepover between .005 to .025 I find the tools heat and wear less with a skinny cut at high speed.

Running repeat orders with these parameters with great results in hardened 13-8 . Helical Tool #27227 3/8" 7 flute .02CR, 250SFM, .0047FTP ( RCTF turned on) RPM=2546 Feedrate =94.0, 7 % step over .75 step down, .03 step up. Running MQL oil mist. I have also ran it in 15-5 H1025 and it zipped thru that even faster.

• Like 3