Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help with running tape mode on fanuc 31i

Hello all,

As the title states I am looking for help with running in tape mode on a fanuc 31i control. We are currently having to split programs into as many as 20 separate programs.

The machine in question is a mazak vhp-160 with a fanuc 31i control. The hard keys on the panel are about identical to a typical mazak but the majority of the control panel pages and soft keys are more similar to a traditional fanuc control.

When I put the machine in tape mode I get none of the pages or soft keys that I would get on either a mazak or a fanuc control.

I attempted to use an m198 external sub program call to run part program off usb drive as a sub program but I get alarm sr1807. Code used was :

m198 p 13536

Any help or resource anybody could offer would be greatly appreciated. I've read through all the mazak and fanuc manuals and there is nothing about tape mode. What information I found online about external sub programs was conflicting whether a usb drive could be used or not.

You cannot run M198 from a USB drive. Fanuc doesn't allow it for some reason. You can, however, run M198 from the memory card. Change device setting to 4. Also, the M198 P???? can only use 4 digits and no spaces. The 31i control also has an option to treat a memory card as internal memory. It is standard on all 30 series controls and the Oi-F. It is an option on the Oi-D control. The only thing you need to buy from Fanuc is a small PC utility to prepare a card. It is a couple hundred dollars. This option lets you run from a memory card with full edit, search and save functions. It's as if you have 1-4 gigs of memory. Very handy when you consider how stingy Fanuc is with any kind of memory options.

Paul

• Thanks 1

You can set the DNC from the memory card from the program screen .

You can't edit it but you can skip to block numbers.

I believe you go operator device change memory card and set DNC in the directory.then when you hit start from DNC mode the program comes in like you were drip-feeding. You can use sequence number search function go to your blocked numbers. This is how our feelers work

It's amazing the machines only come with a half a megabyte of memory

On 11/26/2019 at 11:55 AM, PAnderson said:

You cannot run M198 from a USB drive. Fanuc doesn't allow it for some reason. You can, however, run M198 from the memory card. Change device setting to 4. Also, the M198 P???? can only use 4 digits and no spaces. The 31i control also has an option to treat a memory card as internal memory. It is standard on all 30 series controls and the Oi-F. It is an option on the Oi-D control. The only thing you need to buy from Fanuc is a small PC utility to prepare a card. It is a couple hundred dollars. This option lets you run from a memory card with full edit, search and save functions. It's as if you have 1-4 gigs of memory. Very handy when you consider how stingy Fanuc is with any kind of memory options.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

I pulled one of the memory cards on our Daewoo's with 21i control and attempted to use it on our new machine. When I plug card in machine detects card and pops up with window showing the files on the card. When I attempt to navigate the program screen to the memory card I get an alarm saying  memory card not mounted.

Would this have anything to do with parameter 20 on machine being set to 17 instead of 4?  Machine tells me the parameter is write protected so I am unable to change it to troubleshoot.

Yes set it to channel 4

Use the memory card button to the right. There are 2

Also fanuc doesn't like large cards. We use 256meg cards.  2gb would hang up on the control

Go to the setting page in-between tool and work offset page down there should be the channelsetting Also the parameter write setting. Must be in mdi to write them

I'm partial to this solution. I wrote this solution here back in 2004 and it still stands to this day. Easy prazy, lemon squeezy. Though with the 30i Series, you can use file names up to 32 alphanumeric characters (DOS rules apply for file names). 

This is a long topic but a good read nevertheless. 

"Tape" mode... I NEVER use it. There are better options available.

• Like 4