Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCAM 2020 Raster question

Millertime

Using Mastercam 2020 Tool path is Highspeed Raster. When I select all  machining surfaces and set my stock to leave  (.010 on floors .010 on walls) For avoidance I have 3 surfaces selected (my fixture ) floor and wall stock is set to zero .  Run verify and backplot and toolpath is going to zero on all machining surfaces !! Been out of the loop on this forum for quite some time not sure if this is a glitch with this version.

• Thanks 1

Avoidance geometry can cause Raster to do funny things in my experience.  If you have to use it, I've had the best luck setting my stock to leave pretty close.  So if you're leaving .01" on your machining geometry, leave .011" on your avoidance (I make the difference only .0001" between the two, but I also program at .0001" tolerance).

Otherwise I prefer to control raster using a containment boundary.  The new silhouette boundary functionality is very helpful for lots of geometric conditions.  I generally find myself using the silhouette instead of a solid edge.  Usually if silhouette containment won't work, I usually end up drawing in a containment boundary.

If you're able to post a file or even a picture of the part I could try to help you out.  

Thanks for the feed back . Played with the setting a bit more to see if there was something else that would be causing this and found that if I have tool contact point checked in the tool containment params tool path will cut to zero regardless of how much stock I leave. Change it to tip and stock to leave values are recognized. I think this might be file specific since I imported the operation into another file Selected dives and avoidance geometry and toolpath verified correctly.

18 hours ago, Millertime said:

Thanks for the feed back . Played with the setting a bit more to see if there was something else that would be causing this and found that if I have tool contact point checked in the tool containment params tool path will cut to zero regardless of how much stock I leave. Change it to tip and stock to leave values are recognized. I think this might be file specific since I imported the operation into another file Selected dives and avoidance geometry and toolpath verified correctly.

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for that.  I usually contain the tip of the cutter because sometimes things go haywire when trying to use contact point in steep areas.  

• Huh? 1