Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Z0 on mill/turn

Nightsky84

Ok I have figured out most of my issues, but I have 1 left that I need your help with. I have my Z0 in my lathe as the front of my chuck....maybe -.3 behind it actually. Anyways when I go to job set up before I even start programming my part how do I get it to where the part is lets say 1/2 Inch in front of the jaws? Do I have to add back stock so it recognizes theres more to the part? Also part stickout. How important is that set up? It really confuses me on what it's for/ what it represents. I know its how far the front of the part is out of the chuck so do I always select the front of the part?

4 hours ago, Nightsky84 said:

Ok I have figured out most of my issues, but I have 1 left that I need your help with. I have my Z0 in my lathe as the front of my chuck....maybe -.3 behind it actually. Anyways when I go to job set up before I even start programming my part how do I get it to where the part is lets say 1/2 Inch in front of the jaws? Do I have to add back stock so it recognizes theres more to the part? Also part stickout. How important is that set up? It really confuses me on what it's for/ what it represents. I know its how far the front of the part is out of the chuck so do I always select the front of the part?

Without something to follow you along with hard to say. I always pick the front of the part and then add my stock and go from there. However since you're not doing it the standard way I would have to have or make a sample to test what I think is the best way. You can shoot me an email and I will be glad to take a look as time permits. Have a good night. 

Hey Ron! I think I figured it out as far as how to put it somewhat where I need it to be. As long as it's not interfering with the jaws I'm ok with it coming out farther. I can adjust that if need be. There is one more thing though I would like to ask. I'm trying to use stock pull so I can use my other spindle to pull the stock out after it's been cutoff. It says chuck clamp failed there is no stock in the chuck to clamp which is kind of confusing me. I've tried to add more stock to the bar in job setup. Tried different areas to grab on to the part. I can't figure it out!!

Just now, Nightsky84 said:

Hey Ron! I think I figured it out as far as how to put it somewhat where I need it to be. As long as it's not interfering with the jaws I'm ok with it coming out farther. I can adjust that if need be. There is one more thing though I would like to ask. I'm trying to use stock pull so I can use my other spindle to pull the stock out after it's been cutoff. It says chuck clamp failed there is no stock in the chuck to clamp which is kind of confusing me. I've tried to add more stock to the bar in job setup. Tried different areas to grab on to the part. I can't figure it out!!

Make sure you geometry is not over hanging or there is nothing else going on. The biggest issue I have with Job Setup is the transfer. Once you tap your toes and your fingers in the correct order than it does what you need. 🙄

1 minute ago, Nightsky84 said:

thanks! hopefully I will figure it out. We have a guy coming in to train us the week after next, but I like to know a lot about it before they come in so its a little easier for me to learn. 

That is what I like to hear a person willing to dig in and figure something out!!! Keep at it and you will get it figured out. Anytime you get stuck on something shoot me and email and I will help as best I can.