Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to Deal with a "Spliney" Model

parallax7761@comcast.net

Hi guys, I recently got a base plate model that came in 100% Spline Wireframe. So every hole I need to drill has no useful selectable geometry. I googled converting splines to arcs and found a video by "GiangTheTool"(what a surprise the guy has a mcam video for everything) he shows how to use the toolpath generated with certain settings and backplot you can save your toolpath geometry. My problem is that I cannot get my Arc Filter / Tolerance setting to give me smooth Arcs from my toolpath It just keeps converting to tiny line segments. So If you guys have any good techniques for converting splines to arcs or how to control Arc Filter / Tolerance to output mostly Arcs I would love to hear it! Btw all the holes in my part are under 1/2 inch diameter. Please help me

It is not ITAR but I still doubt the customer would allow their boring base plate to be shared. Sorry I sometimes call all .STEP files models but I did clearly state(incorrectly apparently): "...model that came in 100% Spline Wireframe" I will chop out a very simple corner of the plate with one hole for you guys to see what I am dealing with.

Thank you gcode, the solution was in front of my face the whole time. Luckily there is only about 64 holes this time. Do you have any other ideas for instance if there were hundreds of holes and you didn't want to make your arcs by hand? Also I would still love to know what settings to use on the Arc Filter / Tolerance menu to get mostly Arcs instead of line segments? 

14 minutes ago, Elmer Fudd said:

Try simplify spline.

i would do that too, first do a break many though so you break the spline into many smaller pieces, this helps the simplify spline since the segments are shorter. Or i sometiems just break 2 pieces and break it up myself then simplify. The only disadvantage to this method is sometimes the endpoints dont line up very well afterwards so i think saving your backplotted toolpath might work better and keep the comp on Off when you do that so the geometry produced is in the correct spot. 

can you post the file because if we take a look at it we might be able to help more, even if you just gave us the spline data and not the part itself?

On 11/26/2019 at 10:02 AM, [email protected] said:

I guess that's what I get for using 2017 even though I have 2020 installed on my machine. But what about space claim is it free? I will check it out on google later when I have time.

Spaceclaim is not free its a very power CAD Software that is great at working with just about any CAD format on the planet. Great at healing models, turning surfaces into solids and dumbing down solids. 

• Like 1