Sign in to follow this  
STEVEN GOODSON

5 axis heidenhain post limits

Recommended Posts

Hello

I am running a 5aixs machine with a travel limit in Y of Y+110mm  Y-550mm when I do a 5 axis program on mastercam it will run on machine simulator and when

it gets to Y+110 the tool will go up in Z and re  position in Y - but when I post to machine the post will not do this so machine hits +Y limit.

Should the post be able to run as simulator we do have an up to date 5axis post that was done last year for mastercam mill 2019 ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 3:28 AM, STEVEN GOODSON said:

Hello

I am running a 5aixs machine with a travel limit in Y of Y+110mm  Y-550mm when I do a 5 axis program on mastercam it will run on machine simulator and when

it gets to Y+110 the tool will go up in Z and re  position in Y - but when I post to machine the post will not do this so machine hits +Y limit.

Should the post be able to run as simulator we do have an up to date 5axis post that was done last year for mastercam mill 2019 ?.

Did you purchase a Post connected to the Machinesim in Mastercam? If you didn't then no what Machinesim is doing doesn't match what is really going on at the machine. What you will need to do to either purchase the Post that has the Machinesim tied to it, but I am not sure what happens in these situations. I don't think the post makes changes to the code, but will give you error stating it is outside of the machine travel. Then you will have to decide how to handle it from a programming standpoint. Not sure how you have setup your part of what you have done to ensure you don't have over travels, but need to remember Mastercam is not a Kinematic aware software when programming operations. That responsibility falls back on the programmer and part of the process when programming parts in Mastercam. Once you understand what to look for and how to go about it then you develop methods to prevent them.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can configure mach sim to report overtravels and set limits but as pointed out you must still be aware that posted code and to/from Home will vary.  I generally use mach sim to watch my paths and make sure it's good in cut.  Then I trust my post for rapid out motion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply I can see the problem with kinematic and job position on the machine but I was hoping if you set up a machine the same as simulation programs would run.

It would be good if the post would work as Simulation to run machine it just seems odd to have mastercam simulation software that will retract in Z and reposition in  -Y but mastercam cannot run the machine as simulation.

It's a pity the post is not sorted from the simulation.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, STEVEN GOODSON said:

It's a pity the post is not sorted from the simulation.

It can be but you have to $$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, STEVEN GOODSON said:

Thank you for your reply I can see the problem with kinematic and job position on the machine but I was hoping if you set up a machine the same as simulation programs would run.

It would be good if the post would work as Simulation to run machine it just seems odd to have mastercam simulation software that will retract in Z and reposition in  -Y but mastercam cannot run the machine as simulation.

It's a pity the post is not sorted from the simulation.

Cheers.

Like said above it can be, but if that was not requested then it was not done. Like not buying a machine with G68.2 and G43.4 then wonder why you have to program everything from the center or rotation. If you didn't purchase what was needed then can't expect things to do that which was not purchased. I gave you a method and process to go about looking into what would be needed to get your issue resolved and yes it can be resolved. Question is will your company go that route or not? 🤔

One other thing to know about Machinesim tied to a post it is not 100% machine simulation and verification. Unlike true CAV software that have Sub Routines and Macros that mimic what the machine is doing the Machinesim is just checking motion to a point. Tool changes and other things are limited and not like CAV that can them build into them to see everything. Like adding and removing clamps, broaching and right angle heads can be integrated into the CAV with no issues, in Machinesim not going to see a lot of this without breaking things up and doing some extra step. Machinesim is a great tool and for the majority of what people do should help them get their job done, but not true CAV.  

Welcome to the Emastercam forum and hopefully we see you around helping out in the community of Mastercam programmers. Have a good day. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds expensive if I was made aware of this when getting matercam to sort a post it may be what we would have done as I was new to 5axis had no idea about the post options to run a 5axis machine properly but as the company has paid for 3 seats of mastercam to be upgraded and one new seat I don't think the boss would pay any more.

Thank you for your help I think we best program jobs with planes as much as possible and not full 5axis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, STEVEN GOODSON said:

Thank you for your help I think we best program jobs with planes as much as possible and not full 5axis. 

There are options in the Mastercam 5 Axis toolpath to do things, but you have to be aware of the limits. Once you see what the process is and get your brain wrapped around it then you see how to do exactly what you need. I was programming 5 axis machines well before we had anything to verify code with and was able to work out what was needed. With Machinesim you have a tool to help you see it before it gets to the machine. You can program 3+2 all day long, but if the part don't fit in the machine no software is every going to be able to help you overcome that. If you get stuck throw up a sample part and let us take a look and see if we can assist to get you heading in a direction you want to.

Have a good day.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Join us!

eMastercam - your online source for all things Mastercam.

Together, we are the strongest Mastercam community on the web with over 56,000 members, and our online store offers a wide selection of training materials for all applications and skill levels.

Follow us