Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Undercut with a T-Slot Cutter Overcuts the Bottom Level

zachlancy

Quick question

Does anyone know of a way to get around this. It doesn't seem to work properly. Every time i've tried to undercut something, MC will not respect the lower level of the cut. It always wants to over cut it. You can play around with the stepdown and get it close sometimes, but I can't imagine why it doesn't work as intended. I've used other CAM packages where undercutting was a breeze. Not sure if i'm missing something here or what. 

I undercut jaws semi frequently so it would be nice to figure this out.

Thanks for any input.

Undercut 2.jpg

Undercut.jpg

Undercut.mcam

21 minutes ago, zachlancy said:

After some more fiddling still nothing that seems to get it to respect the lower shelf.

Have you tried just using the finish passes? I would normally break something like this into a couple of toolpaths for control, but then its not something you generally come across in aerospace (what I do), so if you have to do it a lot it might be a pain. 

I'm just going to have to break it up. I don't think MC is capable of doing it unfortunately. In another CAM package I've used, you can do something like this and define stepdown (effectively),  wall stock to leave, floor stock to leave, and ceiling stock to leave, and add a finish pass within the same dialog box. 

3 hours ago, zachlancy said:

I'm just going to have to break it up. I don't think MC is capable of doing it unfortunately. In another CAM package I've used, you can do something like this and define stepdown (effectively),  wall stock to leave, floor stock to leave, and ceiling stock to leave, and add a finish pass within the same dialog box. 

Yes sorry I think that is broken and not working correctly. What is the purpose of telling it is an undercut of the toolpath is not going to respect the material it is cutting? Nice enhancement to the software I will be sending QC this thread and have them took a look.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, cncworker said:

I got it to work, but not with the undercut box checked.  Just have to adjust the "top of stock" number.  

Undercut.mcam

We use a large rough pass like 1000.0 inches for example then the required number of finish passes