Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 MU1 - Reported issue with Smoothing settings in surface toolpaths

In Mastercam and Mastercam for Solidworks X7 MU1 there is a repotred problem with Smoothing Settings. These are on the Arc filter / Tolerance page for surface toolpaths. (In the old-style dialogs, you can reach them by clicking the Total Tolerance button.)

This problem could cause a gouge in your part. If your toolpath motion (not the approach and retract) includes rapid moves, Mastercam might not create a retract before the rapid move. Please verify your part and inspect such moves closely.

The work around is to turn off the Smoothing option and regen the part.

We are currently investigating the part files that were sent to us and will be working on a fix for immediate release. You will be notified of the availability of the fix via the Auto Update Service and via CNC Software’s social media outlets.

If you do encounter this issue, please feel free to send us your part files so we can review them and add them to our test database.

post-1116-0-02593100-1386177037_thumb.jpg

Is it possible all registered users could be notified via email rather than have them wreck a job then go looking for answers ?

I thought the same...I found the issue when working on a new part right after upgrading and notified the operators to verify before running parts. If I wasn't working on something new the operators would scrap parts before noticing the error. We do a lot of repeat jobs that don't need verified and all the operators do is measure the tools, enter the new diameters, and regen the program.

^^^FWIW I would ALWAYS verify. And then post the program and verify the gcode.

They will do that now that verify is 100X faster with X7. In the past when doing 10 or more different trode's in a shift Verify would cut the production down big time. If a tool dia did get entered wrong which hasn't happened that much its just a little time to re-cut the trode. Overall the verify was more costly time wise than the occasional dyslectic entry. The tools only vary .001 or so but If they change to a different tool they had to verify.

I thought MU stood for Maintenance Update. I guess it stands for Make Unusable. Why don't you Beta your updates. I just love all the time and material I waste with all the work arounds. Yes I did get bit by the Smoothing settings in surface toolpaths bug. It was a very expensive crash. Now I have to uninstall X7 MU1 from all our seats and reload X7 SP2. I will load MU1 when MU2 is released. I don't know when it is time to call it quits with Mastercam but that day is not that far away. Just so you know it was a program that I have ran in the past and yes it did run fine. I made feed and speed changes on a few tools then regenerated the program in X7 MU1 with no changes to the surface toolpath and then a 1/2 ball mill did a bad thing. Now I have a nice door stop and a mad boss asking me why a program that we have ran in the past is now not working. I think an e-mail about the bug would have been nice. It's not even 8:00 am and I am ready to go to the bar.

• Like 2

Kaiser, we do beta the MUs . for months.. but this one got through..

There will be a Hotfix for this ... today... and I fully acknowledge that does nothing for your part

or your pissed off boss

If you leave MU1 installed, it will let you know the Hotfix is available shortly

edit..

the Hotfix is already out

http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=75704#entry893026

Hit Help/Update Mastercam.. it will take about 5 minutes to download and install

So i received an email from Mastercam this week, just the usual stuff. Mastercam Tutorials, Post Development Innovations.. bla bla bla

No mention of this bug. WHY ?

What of the people that have installed the first version of MU1, who don't frequent this forum and are yet to have a crash ? Would it be that hard for Matsercam to include something in their bulk/group email ?

Again, why wait for them to stuff a job? Let them know first ! Really wouldn't be that difficult...

gutty, what email? I will have to followup with those who control our emails and newsletters as well as our social media outlets to see if anything went out. I know they were planning on it but I've been a tad busy and haven't followed up on it. Thanks for the reminder!

some dealers sent out emails to their customers alerting them to the latest patch