Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

finish pass error

I'm running an r_pocket routine in my chook. With the following settings with a 3/16" tool I get the error: "Warning:cannot process finish pass with current offsets". It gives me this for every step down in the surface rough pocketing routine. Here's my code:

code:

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.rough=FALSE; //turn Rough off

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.finish =TRUE; ///< TRUE = Finishing enabled

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.fin_n = 2; //# finish steps

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.fin_step=0.01; // Finish pass step size

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.fin_outer = FALSE; // TRUE = finish outer boundary

I looked around at the other options in the struct, and didn't see anything that I needed. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

I have noticed that the problem may not be due to my chook. There is some kind of relationship between:

1) Tool diameter

2) # of passes

3) Spacing

For example, with a 3/16" tool, it does not give me an error when I run 2 passes at 0.004 spacing, but it does fail with 2 passes and 0.005 spacing. Any ideas on how to know where this limit is, would be appreciated.

As stated in the help, the spacing can't go over the stepover distance. This is true when the number of passes = 1. If you put a spacing value of more than the stepover distance, it won't error out, but it correctly doesn't allow the offset to be more than the stepover distance.

However, when you put more than 1 for the # of passes, it will error out. My first thought, was that the total distance away from the surface must be radius+spacing < stepover. But that doesn't make sense, when the tool moves in from the outer pass, and works its way toward the surface. Therefore all that should be needed is spacing < stepover. What am I missing here?

Has anyone tried this method of turning off the Roughing in a Surface Rough Pocket routine so that only the finishing passes are run?

I still am having problems with understanding how the multi-pass system works (if I want to work my way toward the surfaces in multiple steps).

I have also still not found how to run the chook code that is printed in the first message above.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone suggest some places to find documentation on this issue? I need to program into my chook this method, turning off the roughing passes, and keeping the finishing passes in a surface rough pocketing routine. If I could understand the rules for the "fin_n" and "fin_step" properties, I could program it so that it wouldn't error out. Anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I am still have problems with this issue. I get a box that has a title of "Warning". In the pop-up box I get this message:

"Warning: cannot process finish pass with current offsets"

I can select OK for every cut depth and it will calculate toolpaths, but I have to do this for every single cut depth. Again, this is a surface rough pocketing routine. Here are my chook code for a 0.1875" flat end mill:

code:

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.rough=FALSE;

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.finish =TRUE;

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.fin_n = 2;

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.fin_step=0.09375;

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.fin_outer = FALSE;

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.add_finish = TRUE;

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.opt_fin = TRUE;

op.u.r_pocket.pocket.tool_down = TRUE;

I realize my stepover is 100%. Please, if you have any help on this issue I would appreciate it.