Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Publishing/Distributing Net-Hook

I've put together a net-hook in Visual Basic 2010 Express and it works great. My issue is not with the coding, but what to do after it's done. I can manually copy the files out of the build directory and run them in Mastercam, but I'm looking for a better solution so I can give this utility to others and they can just run an installer.

Looking at sites like this doesn't help because these are all tutorials for Visual Studio Pro or higher. This type of application is not available in Express. When I right-click on the project in the Solution Explorer, there is no "publish" option either.

I could always write a .bat script to install this on other computers, but that is not as nice as running a .msi or .exe and I'm looking for something a little more "automatic".

I built my net-hook on the template found here

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

I use WiX for the free AddOns that are available from Mastercam - Support - Downloads

If you're not familiar with "logic" of MS INSTALL, it's a bit of a steep learning curve - not "push this button".

It's free and can be integrated into the Visual Studio and the build process.

I believe it'll work with 'Express' versions. <- *I've not actually tried this.*

My AddOn solution has the NETHook and/or CHook project along with a WiX Installer project.

When I build the Solution I end up with a .MSI

(I also have a post-build batch that produces a setup .EXE package, which is what I distribute).

If after reading up on WiX, you're still interested, drop me a message -> SDK <at> mastercam <dot> com

and I could supply and example WiX Installer Project.

*You have time as it'll be next year before I respond, as I'm out of the office until 2012! :D

Thanks for the response Roger. I looked into WiX and it seems like it would do what I need it to do, but when I try to install it it says "cannot be installed because Visual Studio 2010 Professional or higher is not installed". I installed it anyway and will try to manually use the files since a project cannot be made. I'll let you know if I get anywhere on that route.