Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Titex XD Technology drills

I recently used Titex XD Tech drills to drill 15-20 times diameter deep in Ampcoloy 940 (similar to Mold Max but without beryllium, about Rockewell C 30 and usually not fun to drill) and was most impressed. Anyone have any experience drilling hardened materials with these tools? I've got a job on schedule requiring 15-20 times diameter deep holes in pre-hardened to Rockwell C 42ish 2714 steel and am wondering what kind of tool life can be expected from these tools.

I recently used Titex XD Tech drills to drill 15-20 times diameter deep in Ampcoloy 940 (similar to Mold Max but without beryllium, about Rockewell C 30 and usually not fun to drill) and was most impressed. Anyone have any experience drilling hardened materials with these tools? I've got a job on schedule requiring 15-20 times diameter deep holes in pre-hardened to Rockwell C 42ish 2714 steel and am wondering what kind of tool life can be expected from these tools.

Not sure about these drills, but I have run 20+x on 4130 steel at 3/8" dia using OSG drills with 1000psi coolant, and up to 40x dia 3/16!!! dia Guhring (also in 4130).

how do you drill them? I had previously made a post adjustment for a customer to run in mastercam to simply use a drilling cycle and get gun drilling sort of output.

What I do is this

pilot drill with either this drill (or where tool life is concerned a short drill) to 1-2x dia

toolchange to long drill

no coolant and 100rpm, rapid to position

spindle to 1000rpm (depending on material, maybe slower), NO COOLANT

drill about 1x dia deeper (at like 2 ipm)

back off .005 in z

accelerate spindle to cutting speed, dwell, 1000psi coolant on

feed to depth no pecking (in 4130 - 3/8 drill feeding 32 ipm, 3/16 feeding at 12-14 ipm)

retract .01, coolant off, spindle 100 rpm

retract all the way out

toolchange, done

Not sure about these drills, but I have run 20+x on 4130 steel at 3/8" dia using OSG drills with 1000psi coolant, and up to 40x dia 3/16!!! dia Guhring (also in 4130).

I doubt going much over 20x dia on anything with only having 250psi coolant available would be successful. I hope I can do 20 .343 dia holes 15x dia deep in the pre-hard 2714 with two drills because that's all they ordered.

Titex's recommended strategy is very close to what you're using. I haven't modified a post, yet. I manually wrote a sub program and called it at the hole locations. If we start doing more of this type of work consistently I'll write a macro instead. If it starts to become an everyday thing, then customizing posts would be justified.