Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MasterCAM textbooks OR MasterCAM University?

Dave Taylor

I'll offer my 2c keeping in mind I may have a bias :)

They each have their place in my mind but here are a few things to consider:

- With MCU, you pay for access for a set amount of time. Going the textbook route, (eBook or print) you get that content forever. If you choose a title with a Training CD, you get the video content as a reference forever.

- The Mill Level 1 Training Tutorial, for example, has everything you need to prep you for certification (if that's your end goal).

- Either way, you get the latest demo software (HLE) to work with at home.

• Like 1

Hello Dave,

The HLE for X6 is set to expire on October 31, 2013. The HLE discs are not specific to the textbook, so you can use the HLE with Mill level 1 Training Tutorial, with the Lathe Book, with Mill level 3, etc. etc.

The video training CDs that come with Mill level 1, Mill level 3, Lathe, and Intro to Multiaxis Training Tutorials do not expire.

• Like 1

I teach at a community college. A couple of years ago I switched from using a text book, lecture and demo format to using MastercamU. Prior to switching I had taught Mastercam for years and had developed solid instruction. With some apprehension I made the switch, but I hedged my bet by also requiring a text. At first I was stunned by what happened, most of my students learn more in less time while my role changed from provider to enabler. I augment MCU instruction in areas I feel it is lacking, but overall I would never go back to text/lecture only. Some of my students still use and learn better from the tutorial text, most are all on-line.

• Like 1

CNC IT All, Thank you for sharing your experience.

When I was taught MasterCAM in trade school it was by following along with what the instructor did. No textbooks, no tutorials of any kind. My instructor was excellent, but I suspect as you are saying, that most students would have been more successful with more material. Some of the students had never seen a CNC machine before.

• 2 months later...