Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Save levels to individual files

LBruinsma

I know that in the past, someone created something to help save levels out to individual files, but I would like to know if there is currently something out there. 

We receive die designs in a assembly of parasolids, when I open it, each detail comes in on its own level with the name and detail number as the level. I am looking for an easy way to break this down into individual files that take the name of the level they come from,

thanks

What version of Mastercam is this for?

This has certainly been done more than once in the past. It can be done with a C-Hook or NET-Hook type add-in.

It's fairly simple to code. The only 'trick' is determining the output file names.

Where (the path) should the files with the individual levels be saved to?

Do you want to add-in to ask for the output folder each time, or use some "known" output folder?

What to calculate for the "name" of each of these files?

break this down into individual files that take the name of the level they come from

Using the Level "name" it OK, except that level names are not required to be unique.

So, if a name appears in the Levels list more than once you need some logic to "adjust" the 2nd file name.

One way to handle that would be to include the Level "number" in those output file names.

i.e.  "L101-My Wireframe", "L202-The Surfaces", etc.

That would easily force them to be unique output file names.

You also want to deal with the possibility that a Level "name" contains characters that are not valid for a file name.

Not difficult, but just one of those things you don't think about until the add-in crashes because your are attempting to create a file with a name not allowed by Windows.

Edited by Roger Martin from CNC Software
fix typos
  • Like 1