Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OptiRough Stepup??

chknkatsu

Hey guys, Mastercam newb here.

i am in the roughing op of a part i have programmed.

i have backplotted and verified the program. i ended up crashing my part due to my cutter taking a very hard undercut during the Optirough and pulling the part out of the workhold.

i put another part on because i thought maybe the part shifted and that is why it undercut, but that wasnt the case.

i do not understand why it would undercut on a Optirough.

Our main programmer told me tl use "stepup" in the toolpath control, i dont quite understand the "stepup" parameter and would appreciate if someone could explain what it does, why/how it would prevent an undecut. 

would also love to know WHY it is taking an undercut, it just doesnt make sense to me.

20230414_154238.jpg

Is it possible for you to share the file? Even just a sample file with a mock part would be helpful.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "undercut". Can you see the undercut in Mastercam verify?

I'm not sure how step up would benefit here, but I can't clearly see the application either. Here's some reasons step up may be used:

1. you have an existing pocket and want to start at full depth and work your way up angled walls / surfaces

2. you want the tool to use step downs and after milling at each level it will use smaller step ups to rough surfaces closer to finish

I'm sure there's countless reasons to use step ups, those are just off the top of my head.

• Like 1