Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Should I use (and Learn) C-Hooks or Net-Hooks to build this addin?

Could someone explain the limitations of Net-hooks vs using C-hooks? From what I have been reading Net-Hooks are significantly easier to learn and implement, but C-hooks are more powerful, so what are the actual limitations here? I am not a software developer, but I am willing to invest the time to learn to be able to implement some projects like this in Mastercam and other shop projects I have planned. Looking for some advice on which platform I should be investing my time into learning. The first project I am looking to tackle:

We use Heidenhain controls, these controls can upload a .T, Tool database, file to the machine that contains things such as tool name, tool length, tool radius…. That I would like to export directly from Mastercam. These are basically a CSV file. I would like to develop a C-hook the reads all the tools used in a given program and auto generates a text file for me that I can load into the machine control. This will cut down a TON of data entry on the control when setting up new jobs.

Would a C-hook or a Net-Hook be more appropriate for developing this?

On 4/23/2023 at 8:50 PM, LHM said:

Could someone explain the limitations of Net-hooks vs using C-hooks? From what I have been reading Net-Hooks are significantly easier to learn and implement, but C-hooks are more powerful, so what are the actual limitations here? I am not a software developer, but I am willing to invest the time to learn to be able to implement some projects like this in Mastercam and other shop projects I have planned. Looking for some advice on which platform I should be investing my time into learning. The first project I am looking to tackle:

We use Heidenhain controls, these controls can upload a .T, Tool database, file to the machine that contains things such as tool name, tool length, tool radius…. That I would like to export directly from Mastercam. These are basically a CSV file. I would like to develop a C-hook the reads all the tools used in a given program and auto generates a text file for me that I can load into the machine control. This will cut down a TON of data entry on the control when setting up new jobs.

Would a C-hook or a Net-Hook be more appropriate for developing this?

Hi LHM,

We always suggest beginners to start with the nethook API and C-Sharp, if you need functionality from c++ we can show you how to create interop dlls in c++/cli that you can call from csharp to manage your C++ code,

There is a c++/cli template that can help you get started on the visual studio marketplace, 

Check out the toolnetapi docs on mastercam.com, you can easily get all that info there

If you only want tool info, you probably dont need a chook

• 2 months later...

Yes, I am able to access tool info in ToolNET API but the main issue is I want operation info on turning operations and other lathe operations. This doesnt exist in NETHOOK API or ToolNETAPI. Could you help me on how to build an interop dll so that I can the C++  file from the NETHook project in Mastercam.

• 4 months later...

I have been writing add-on in C-Hook for 4 months. Documentatin is really poor actually. I strongly suggest  a Net-Hook one. You can easily find what functions, parameters you search directly by searching. For example if you search for the arc filter setting page in the sdk if you write Arc/ Filter it directly gives what you need to use. IF one more possibility you see, it will not be too hard to select which is the corresponding one. However, in C-Hook sdk it is like an impossible. I generally search short words or regular expression search. I learned C-Hook side, however still failing in such cases. lol.